PDA

View Full Version : Regurged 2nd pinkie

Regurged 2nd pinkie

Merkavich
01-22-2014, 06:13 PM
My yearling snake has grown enough to eat two pinkies. (this is his first time eating two pinkies), as hes not quite big enough for a fuzzy because he's growing more in length then in width. However 3 days later, he's regurged one of those pinkies, but has also pooped today. Not sure what to do here, should I cut him back to one? Also he's supposed to eat again in two days, should I wait a little longer? I've been extremely lucky, and this is my first regurge.

Thanks in advance for help :)

NH93
01-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Nothing about this sounds right to me.
A yearling should not be on pinkies. A hatchling yes, for a bit. Not a yearling.

3 days later a mouse - never mind a pinkie - would be digested by then. My guess is you are mistaking poop for a regurge. Did you take a photo?
Unless the temps are below 75F everywhere, including the hot spot, a mouse of that size would digest by 3 days.
If it was indeed a regurge, it would have been regurgitated mcuh earlier than 3 days, and perhaps you had missed it and only found it on day 3. Please clarify.

It sounds likre you are feeding every 5 days. I suggest every 7.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU CHECK THIS OUT.
http://medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm

Finally, how much does your snake weigh? If you do not know, you should buy a digital kitchen scale to find out (can be found at most big box stores for around $10). When all else fails, feed 1-1.5X the width of the widest part of the snakes body.

There could be underlying conditions as well, if it was a regurge. I really don't feel that it was.

HVani
01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
My Henry never did well with 2 prey items. Every time I tried to bump him up to 2 pinkies he regurged. It was usually the next morning I would find it. I just had to find peach fuzzies for him for a while. He wasn't on them long because he hit a growth spurt then.

I feed my snakes every 5 days until they are on small adults. I know a lot of people do it that way. I don't think that's the issue. It does sound fishy though. I would double check temperatures.

Nanci
01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
I commonly see regurges on day 3. It takes the pink (or whatever) time to decay, and then it comes back up. It decays because the snake is too cold and can't digest, the meal is too large and can't be digested before it rots, or the snake is blue and something must interfere with digestion, sometimes, in that state.

Do you have a weight on him?

And you need to skip the next planned meal, and then feed a meal half the size of what he regurged. How big were the pinks you fed? It's a big jump to go from one medium or large pink to two. I've gotten away from double pinks and am just gradually increasing the size right through the range of pinks up to extra large pinks to small peach fuzzies and so on. I guess it's a luxury to buy pinks and fuzzies by the hundreds so I can sort them like that.

Okay, after skipping the planned meal, you are effectively not feeding him for 7-10 days after the regurge. Get Nutribac if you can, and put that on all future meals for several months. When you feed, from now until he is on weanlings or adults, always slit the back and if you can, the skull of the prey.

Make sure he is warm enough. He needs the center of his UTH, under the substrate, to be in the 84-86 range.

I would do everything I could to avoid feeding him when he is blue.

If you can't vary the size of the pinks, don't go from one to two. Do one, one and a half, one and a half, two.

Merkavich
01-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Nothing about this sounds right to me.
A yearling should not be on pinkies. A hatchling yes, for a bit. Not a yearling.

I know the difference between a poop and a regurge, it's a regurge. But no, I didn't take a picture.

I fed him two 4 gram pinkies, because he's 29 grams, (normally he eats one 6 gram pinky) however I don't feel he's wide enough to handle the small fuzzies yet. He isn't growing much width wise at the moment, but length wise he is. I do feed my yearlings every 5 days. However, I'll wait until next friday to feed him again, and I'll just give him one large pinky.

His warm side is 87 in the substrate. He's also not in blue.

I'll grab some nutribac tomorrow as well.

And yes, this guy is small, he was quite a bit smaller when I got him 2 months ago.

Merkavich
01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
I went to the city today to look for nutribac, three different stores didn't have it. They had never heard of it, so I'm assuming it's an American product...they didn't have any sort of probiotic for reptiles. So I purchased it online, and should be here in the next week. Too bad I can't just share my own probiotics with him, I keep a steady supply of these for myself lol.

Thanks Nanci!

NH93
01-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Hope everything works out! :(