PDA

View Full Version : How to prekill a bird

How to prekill a bird

SteveAlbert
01-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Prekilling mice (if the situation is necessary) is rather simple. Now what if it's a bird, that's a toughie.

I have a snake that will only eat live birds(not chicken or quail). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I do not want to hurt the little bird nor do i want to see the snake hurt itself by hitting and missing. Before you suggest switching to frozen birds or mice, trust me, i already am trying. There is nothing more convenient than a box of mice in the freezer.

Anyway, just hoping i don't have to feed live tonight.

Nanci
01-24-2014, 05:44 AM
I found this document. (http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/chapter_5.pdf)

I've only had to kill a bird a couple times (found birds hit by cars that aren't going to make it- badly injured) and have used cervical dislocation.

SteveAlbert
01-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Thanks alot Nanci. I did some google research too and found more or less the same information, not as detailed as your document though so thanks for that.

Still it sucks that i have to do this. Hoping i can make the switch real soon.

Nanci
01-24-2014, 07:07 AM
I know a few people have had luck scenting with bird (finch) droppings/dirty bird nest material. How big is the snake/birds?

SteveAlbert
01-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Snake is 6-7 feet. Bird is the size of a medium/large mouse(i just googled finch, looks like an adult finch) i would say. I was told to avoid switching to mice till the snake gets settled in aka 3-4 more feedings i presume(This would be his 4th so far.

Nanci
01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
What kind of snake is it? Has any one ever offered rodents?

SteveAlbert
01-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Red tailed green ratsnake. Tried literally everything but no luck. It seemed nothing attracts its attention other than the flapping wings of a bird. Anyway, i'll give it a week or two for settling in and then back to conversion tactics.