PDA

View Full Version : Sick corn snake...coccidia

Sick corn snake...coccidia

Vespa2628
01-30-2014, 02:02 AM
So I have a corn snake that is throwing up his food and has a weird gel-like substance in his feces. He was diagnosed with coccidia when I took him to the vet and I gave him the medicine, but messed up a bit when I forgot to give it to him for a day. I gave it to him the next day, but I think it messed things up. He stopped throwing up for a small amount of time but slowly became worse again. Tonight he threw up almost a full mouse that he ate two days ago. Was it my fault for not doing the medicine right or was he misdiagnosed? Opinions?

I just have to use these smileys, it's my first time posting so I think the smileys are the coolest things :eatsmiley :bounce: :fullauto:

Shiari
01-30-2014, 05:25 AM
A single day wouldn't screw it up entirely.

He vomited up the mouse he ate two days ago... does he still look like he has food in his stomach? Does he look "swollen" in the middle at all?

AliCat37
01-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I would stop trying to feed him entirely for at least two weeks.

HVani
01-30-2014, 10:08 AM
I would stop trying to feed him entirely for at least two weeks.

^This. Regurges are really dangerous for snakes. Depending on the age I might hold off on feeding until the medication series is finished.

Vespa2628
01-30-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't have another medication series right now but I need one. I'll be going to the vet as soon as I can to get another. He's about 11 years old and I only feed him once a month or so. And I can never tell of he has food in him or not because he's well fed and fat so he doesn't swell up when he eats lol. But based on his feces which is almost all urates and very little brown he didn't get much in.