PDA

View Full Version : RI Home remedy - has anyone tried this?

RI Home remedy - has anyone tried this?

Motley Sunglow
02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I googled the above and found a treatment a guy used on his corns consisting of a bit of vicks vapo rub and a couple drops of eucalyptus oil mixed in a cup of boiled water then used in conjuction with a double tub system to give the snake a steam bath. said it always worked for his snakes and other reptiles too.

Has anyone here tried this?
Educated answers only please, I dont have time for opinions and random thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

TyeW
02-01-2014, 02:59 PM
In my opinion, if your snake has a RI, you should take it to the vet. I wouldn't place the life of the snake in the hands of a DIY home remedy that may or may not work.. If it does work, great. But i would rather trust the vet for those kinds of issues.

MysticExotics
02-01-2014, 03:46 PM
I've not tried that one, but I have used F10 Antiseptic Solution successfully to get rid of an RI (in a Carpet Python).
I know many people who use the F10 (which are actually using F10SC, which is a little different formula) successfully for RI's.
It's easier than the vicks set up. You need a bin large enough for the snake, a nebulizer (which I ordered for about $30 online), and the F10. You dilute the F10 (1:250), fill the resevior with the diluted F10, (I drilled a hole in the lower portion of my tub, to run the tube through, and used a suction cup to attatch the end of the nebulizer to the upper portion of the bin). Run the nebulizer until it runs out of the F10 mixture (usually about 15-20 minutes) turn the nebulizer off and leave the animal in there for another 30 minutes. I did this twice a day for a week (they say 7-10 days, but it didn't take that long).
That was over a year ago, the last time I did that. (Knock on wood, hopefully I won't have to do that anytime soon).

Edit to add: F10 is effective when the RI is caught right away. If the snake has had an RI for a little while, it is definitely best to go to the vet.
If I can catch something early enough, I'd much rather do a home treatment, than add stress to an already sick animal, by transporting it to the vet and back.
Some people have don't have vets all that close to them.
My boyfriend, for example, lives in southern MD, and his vet is in northern VA.
He has to take the animal to work, it sits in an office, he then takes off work early, drives to VA, for the vet visit. That's a lot of stress on a sick animal.

Motley Sunglow
02-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I've not tried that one, but I have used F10 Antiseptic Solution successfully to get rid of an RI (in a Carpet Python).
I know many people who use the F10 (which are actually using F10SC, which is a little different formula) successfully for RI's.
It's easier than the vicks set up. You need a bin large enough for the snake, a nebulizer (which I ordered for about $30 online), and the F10. You dilute the F10 (1:250), fill the resevior with the diluted F10, (I drilled a hole in the lower portion of my tub, to run the tube through, and used a suction cup to attatch the end of the nebulizer to the upper portion of the bin). Run the nebulizer until it runs out of the F10 mixture (usually about 15-20 minutes) turn the nebulizer off and leave the animal in there for another 30 minutes. I did this twice a day for a week (they say 7-10 days, but it didn't take that long).
That was over a year ago, the last time I did that. (Knock on wood, hopefully I won't have to do that anytime soon).

Edit to add: F10 is effective when the RI is caught right away. If the snake has had an RI for a little while, it is definitely best to go to the vet.
If I can catch something early enough, I'd much rather do a home treatment, than add stress to an already sick animal, by transporting it to the vet and back.
Some people have don't have vets all that close to them.
My boyfriend, for example, lives in southern MD, and his vet is in northern VA.
He has to take the animal to work, it sits in an office, he then takes off work early, drives to VA, for the vet visit. That's a lot of stress on a sick animal.

Thank you.

Nythain
02-02-2014, 04:04 PM
I haven't personally had a chance to do the vicks trick. But I've read it on a billion different forums concerning snakes. Seems to be fairly effective, but like Heather mentions, only if you catch the RI real early. Any further development of the RI would definitely need vet attention and proper antibiotics to clear up.