PDA

View Full Version : Hopefuly not an RI

Hopefuly not an RI

Neumann
07-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Today while holding one of our corns, the okeetee, it huffed. I wasn't looking at him at the time but I heard a hiss like sound and felt him expand his lung and expel the air. I had him out for quite some time so it may have been defensive, as in, I may have waved my other hand in front of his nose or something. I was talking to my wife at the time and not really paying attention to him. I listened to his breathing afterwards and it seemed normal. Hopefully everything is okay but I'll keep an eye on him just in case. He's never hissed before so... we'll see.

Cindy
07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
I hope it is not an RI, my Mayzee snake tends to sort of huff (not really a hiss) more like a sigh, when she gets excited, when she get near the bath water she nearly jumps out of my hands and if I put her on the floor outside the tub she snorts and huffs until she climbs up the side to get in the tub for her swim.

Neumann
07-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Yea. I hope it's not an RI too. Perhaps he was just excited but it seems unlikely to me. I checked the cage temps and they're fine, 75.6 deg. F. on the cool end and 88.7 F. on the warm. I'm going to replace the substrate (Repti-Bark fir chips) tomorrow so he'll have a nice clean environment just in case. I'd do it today but I like to freeze the fir chips over night to kill any bugs before I use them.

Jicin
07-26-2004, 03:20 AM
RI? Respitorial Infection?

Cindy
07-26-2004, 05:23 AM
yes RI is respiratory infection. sorry. (Maybe we should put a glossary somewhere on the board!) :)

Missy
07-26-2004, 05:29 AM
hmm, i too hope it isnt anything like that.
my female had problems similar to RI, it is horrible to hear, i personally dont think it sounds like a hiss at all, its more like a very light wheeze, when i heard her it really is nothing like a hiss, she was wheezing, it turned out she had sinuse problems instead.
when they sneeze though, its so cute.
good luck with it :-)

Jicin
07-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Yeah. I had a hard time figuring out what you ment with 'slugs' and 'yolk' and all that stuff.

Skye
07-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I agree - a glossary is a good idea

Cindy
07-26-2004, 11:41 AM
I would suggest a Glossary and also FAQ area, new members (me included always ask what the numbers mean in the sigs (0.0 & 0.01) etc, and some questions do seem to come up repeatedly which could be covered in a FAQ section. Sorry I have just noticed I am off topic. but any comments ????(perhaps under a new thread!)

Amanda E
07-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Regarding RIs:

Well, this year is the first year that I've ever been worried about RI's because it seemed like every one of my snakes was starting to wheeze. Instead it turns out that since they were all of breeding age this year, they got a little pissy when it came to the breeding season. I found out that none of them were sick. They were just hissing at me. They had never hissed at me before, so I didn't know what it sounded like. Since the breeding season has passed (for all but one female) they have all gone back to normal (i.e. no more hissing). My vet said that as long as they aren't blowing bubbles, drooling, or holding their bodies upright for long periods of time (to drain fluid out of their breathing passages), and eating okay, they should be fine. He also told me though that even healthy snakes will sometimes blow bubbles from their noses after they drink if water got in their nose. He said that they may also sneeze after drinking to get water out of their noses.

Regarding a glossary:

I agree, it would be nice. Even for non-snake related stuff, like some of the shorthand used on here. Some of it still confuses me, despite reading forums for about 3 years now. (You know, like AFAIK, and IMO, etc. - I do know what these mean though.)

Neumann
07-26-2004, 12:59 PM
A glossary type of section for the forum is a wonderful idea but I would like it to contain more than simple definitions. I find I remember these things much better if I have a more complete understanding of them. I think Amanda E's example of WHY a snake holds it's head up with an RI or why a snake will blow bubbles should go into the glossary as well. Another example, why the 10 day regurge rule?- the snake needs to recoup acids and enzymes and heal its throat, etc.

...just my two cents.

Jason