PDA

View Full Version : Feeding and Disgestion Question...

Feeding and Disgestion Question...

ValeriesMom
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

So I got Valerie last week. I got her at Petsmart, according to them, she eats every 7 days. (I just get a female energy from her, that's why I refer to her as a her. I'm not positive she's a girl thought.)

I fed her on Saturday, she ate 2 pinkies, and since Sunday she's been hiding in the 'stump of evil' (as I've seen it referred to on here lol.... great name for it, I literarly tore everything apart looking for her Sunday night!!)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134494&highlight=stump+evil

Is this normal to hide out after eating for this long? I don't think she's stuck in there, I did pet her gently with my finger and she did move a bit. She hasn't pooped anywhere, I've looked for it, in case she snuck out and then returned to where she is. Could she just be comfortable and not want to come out? Will corn snakes poo where they are if needed (if she doesn't want to come out of her hiding place.)

Thank you!!

Nythain
02-11-2014, 01:47 PM
some snakes will curls up for days after eating. others will be cruising around the next day. it's all very personal really. but it's not "not normal" behavior for her to be hiding and resting while digesting.

as for pooing where they are, they tend to not want to poo in their favorite hiding spots, but they will sometimes. most corns i've encountered love to poo in the corner of their vivs, or along the edge somewhere.

ValeriesMom
02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Thank you for responding! I was really starting to worry!

kc261
02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Since you only got her last week, part of it could be that she is still settling in to her new home. Doesn't sound like there is anything to worry about.

TheFrogman
02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
All my snakes except for my "mean and nasty" my Brooks King will go and hide for a couple days.

Tick-Tag
02-12-2014, 08:12 PM
My corns always hide until they are done digesting and that will be 3-5 days, depending on if they are hiding in the warm or the cold end of the viv.

I always leave them totally alone until they are done digesting and have pooped. Usually they will suddenly come out and roam around the viv and then poop somewhere after a minute or so.

ValeriesMom
02-12-2014, 08:21 PM
So my Valerie came out yesterday for about 5 minutes. Shedding! It came off in two pieces. And she did poop. I didn't handle her or anything, I still haven't since feeding her. She seems pissy, she seems to glare at me, then retreats to her Stump of Evil.

When I got her I didn't notice her eyes were cloudy or anything, and she did eat Saturday... I couldn't have made her shed worse (I can't think of the right word for it...) by feeding her while she was getting ready to shed, right? I seriously had no idea she was going to shed. On Petsmart's paperwork, they have no notes of her shedding since they got her in October.

And thank you to everyone who's posted here! :)

Tick-Tag
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
It seems that she has managed fine, so don't feel bad about it.

There has been a couple of times that I have taken my snakes out to feed them and then realized that they were starting to become blue and by then they already knew that I was going to feed them, so I have offered them food anyway and they have eaten and shedded fine after that.

If I know I will wait, but it happens.

ValeriesMom
02-12-2014, 08:32 PM
It seems that she has managed fine, so don't feel bad about it.

There has been a couple of times that I have taken my snakes out to feed them and then realized that they were starting to become blue and by then they already knew that I was going to feed them, so I have offered them food anyway and they have eaten and shedded fine after that.

If I know I will wait, but it happens.

Thank you!!!!! I was sitting here getting more and more worried!