PDA

View Full Version : Usually great eater suddenly isn't

Usually great eater suddenly isn't

smigon
02-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Scarlett is 2.5 years old. I tried to feed her when I thought she was blue, she refused it. No shed for about 3 weeks. Right after her shed last week I tried to feed her, nothing. I tried again last night, she still won't eat. She has lost a few grams, but is very active, but January 9th was her last meal.

Temps are perfect.

The only thing that has changed is I put a new lid on her cage, one that came from another cage that had been used in the past. I did not clean it, I didn't even think about it, I just needed her strong mesh lid for another cage, grabbed the thinner screen lid and put it on her cage.

I know nothing about breeding, I guess she is almost that age, could she be gravid?

Nanci
02-12-2014, 05:32 AM
I'd feel her belly and see if she's ovulating. If you let her crawl over your fingers, relaxed, on the ground, that's the best way to feel. I put two fingers under the snake and my thumb on her back.

Some females go off feed in the spring- usually not as long as some males do. You might try offering something small next time, like a fuzzy. And I wouldn't go crazy offering food- just wait till the next scheduled feeding.

Nythain
02-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Yep. Pretty much everything Nanci said.

smigon
02-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it!

-Michelle

smigon
02-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Well, tonight was feeding time again and I though I put a fuzzie on her plate but it was a weanling (her usual size) and gave one fuzzie and one weanling to my new girl, Snow. All other three snarfed down their meals but Scarlett still didn't eat the weanling, so I took the last fuzzie out of the "seal-a-meal" packets I have set up in the freezer for feeding day, I will try again tomorrow. She crawled all over it, but just didn't eat it. I thought it may not be good, but Snow gobbled hers up, so I don't think it was bad, Scar has never refused one before.

So we will try again tomorrow.

AliCat37
02-18-2014, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't try again so soon.
Did you feel her belly to see if she is ovulating like nanci suggested?

MysticExotics
02-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Has she been with another snake to possibly be gravid?

I agree, do not try to feed so often. I would not offer any more than every 5 days. With snakes that are refusing meals, I like to stretch it out even more, up to two weeks before offering food. I leave them alone in the mean time, except to make sure they have fresh water.

smigon
02-19-2014, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't try again so soon.
Did you feel her belly to see if she is ovulating like nanci suggested?

Sorry, yes I did, and I felt nothing. She feels normal.

Has she been with another snake to possibly be gravid?

I agree, do not try to feed so often. I would not offer any more than every 5 days. With snakes that are refusing meals, I like to stretch it out even more, up to two weeks before offering food. I leave them alone in the mean time, except to make sure they have fresh water.

I didn't read this until now, nope, she hasn't been with anyone else ever.

I put the smaller mouse in her tank tonight and she ate it immediately. Thanks for the advice, maybe the larger meal just scared her!

fiveolddogs
03-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Any update on this one? I have a snake behaving similarly.

smigon
03-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Any update on this one? I have a snake behaving similarly.

Is yours in blue? That will affect the their appetite.

fiveolddogs
03-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Is yours in blue? That will affect the their appetite.

Not right now. My snake has not eaten in about five weeks. During this period, he has gone through normal sheds. He has been offered food weekly, refusing each time. He behavior has been typical and normal for him including periods of being active and periods of rest under the aspen or in his hide.

For the record:
Normal thermostatically controlled temperatures using UTH and probe. 86F on warm side to 72F on cool.

kc261
03-17-2014, 12:03 PM
If he is an adult male, he may be more interested in finding a mate than in eating.