PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Feeding Questions

Newbie Feeding Questions

Raynen
02-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I've been on a research journey since deciding on a corn snake as my first snake/reptile. I've noticed thst many topics are so varied that I've ended up more confused! I've also searched the forum, but maybe I'm not understanding certain terminology. Either way, I'd rather post about confusion than to be silent.

I've been suggested the Munson Plan for feeding, and to watch for the 24 hour bump, so that's a great plan to follow for me.

Should I feed I my snake goes"blue"? If no, that's fine. If yes, should I feed it a smaller dinner? I wouldn't mind keeping a few smaller mice just for this purpose.

I know to wait 24-48 hours after feeding to handle my snake. After feeding in its feeding bin, should I wait a bit (an hour or two)before moving him back to his viv?

Okay awkward question... when is the normal time lengt between eating and pooping?

I think that's it. If you have any other advice to add, please do so! As you can see, I'm very concerned on beimg prepared, especially since I might get my little one sooner than expected, around year.

Thanks for the help!

Tavia
02-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Personally, I find the Munson plan a bit aggressive for younger snakes but it is a decent starting point, but don't feel that you have to follow it to the letter.

If you notice that your snake is blue before thawing a mouse, I'd suggest waiting to feed until it is done shedding. Some snakes refuse to eat when blue, some eat and are just fine but every now and then, one will eat and then regurge while blue. It's generally best to just wait. But it will probably not be a big deal if you offer food to one before noticing it is in shed, some morphs can be very difficult to tell that with.

It's okay to gently handle the snake very briefly after eating to put it back if you are feeding in a separate container. Also, if the container is smaller than the cage, you can just put the whole thing in the cage with the lid off and let the snake climb out on it's own when it is ready.

They usually poop 3 to 5 days after eating and can actually poop several times in between feeding.

Raynen
02-16-2014, 01:41 AM
Personally, I find the Munson plan a bit aggressive for younger snakes but it is a decent starting point, but don't feel that you have to follow it to the letter.

If you notice that your snake is blue before thawing a mouse, I'd suggest waiting to feed until it is done shedding. Some snakes refuse to eat when blue, some eat and are just fine but every now and then, one will eat and then regurge while blue. It's generally best to just wait. But it will probably not be a big deal if you offer food to one before noticing it is in shed, some morphs can be very difficult to tell that with.

It's okay to gently handle the snake very briefly after eating to put it back if you are feeding in a separate container. Also, if the container is smaller than the cage, you can just put the whole thing in the cage with the lid off and let the snake climb out on it's own when it is ready.

They usually poop 3 to 5 days after eating and can actually poop several times in between feeding.

Thank you for the advice! By aggressive, do you mean it can lead to weight problrmsvre regurgitation? I know the 1.5x rule but how do I exactly measure my snake? I know corn like to move!

Nanci
02-16-2014, 09:55 AM
You measure the snake by weighing it.

24 hours after feeding is too soon to handle the snake- I'd wait 48-72 hours.

I would not feed when the snake is blue- it often leads to regurgitation. When you think about it, the wild snake would not be out hunting during this period.

I find the Munson Plan slightly aggressive, too. I use it, but conservatively. Let the snake get 5 grams more than the plan calls for before going up a step. 10 grams for the later steps.

Raynen
02-16-2014, 01:24 PM
You measure the snake by weighing it.

24 hours after feeding is too soon to handle the snake- I'd wait 48-72 hours.

I would not feed when the snake is blue- it often leads to regurgitation. When you think about it, the wild snake would not be out hunting during this period.

I find the Munson Plan slightly aggressive, too. I use it, but conservatively. Let the snake get 5 grams more than the plan calls for before going up a step. 10 grams for the later steps.

Perfet, thank you!

Buzzbee
02-18-2014, 03:41 AM
I'm having an issue with the Munson plan in that Leo weighs more than enough to be up to regular fuzzy size but he still shows the obvious 24 hr lump on a small. I've been keeping an eye on him and shall do the next feeding to for the sign if it's time to move up a size.

As for feeding when in blue - not recommended. However, me being complete newbie hadn't caught Leo in blue and offered him food about 4/5 days before his shed... he took it (with great gusto), it was fine, but never going to do it again :S

MysticExotics
02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
I use the Munson plan as a guide, but I usually wait until they are a couple more grams than listed before moving up in size.
I also weigh my babies on a fairly regular basis.

I generally don't feed a snake while they are in the shed cycle.

A number of mine will refuse to eat while in the opaque/blue phase, so it's wasted food.
I have had a couple that will eat while in the opaque/blue phase, and the food is digested before they actually shed.

The times I have had a regurge during shed cycle, it's been when they were in the clear phase, right before they shed, and they eat, but then cannot get the shed over the food bump, so they regurge to finish shedding.

The clear phase is harder to see, but as you get to know your snake, you will learn to recognize "that look".

The reason I do not have that big of a problem with the Munson Plan, is my thought is that in the wild, I would think babies would eat as much as they can, to grow fast, because the longer they are little, the more chance they have of becoming food for another animal.
There are some who feed babies even more aggressively than the Munson Plan, by feeding as soon as the baby poops (I do not do this) but even then, you do not see overweight babies. They utilize all the nutrients to grow.

I chose a happy medium. I do not power feed, I do not slow grow.

smigon
02-19-2014, 02:26 AM
I use the Munson plan as a guide, but I usually wait until they are a couple more grams than listed before moving up in size. I also weigh my babies on a fairly regular basis.

The reason I do not have that big of a problem with the Munson Plan, is my thought is that in the wild, I would think babies would eat as much as they can, to grow fast, because the longer they are little, the more chance they have of becoming food for another animal.

There are some who feed babies even more aggressively than the Munson Plan, by feeding as soon as the baby poops (I do not do this) but even then, you do not see overweight babies. They utilize all the nutrients to grow.

I chose a happy medium. I do not power feed, I do not slow grow.

I totally agree, when they are really little following the plan helps them through that baby phase with enough nutrients and helps them to grow. Once they get larger, I agree with waiting to bump them up to the next size, but I also go with the 1.5x the widest point of the snake for the mouse size, you have to eyeball the size of the snake to know when it is time to move up.

Raynen
02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! It's a slow count until I get my own corn but researching and visiting the forum are passing the time by :D