PDA

View Full Version : General feeding question

General feeding question

brindle
02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
My snake's previous owner has fed her either two rat pups or one jumbo mouse once per week. She is over 4.5 feet long and pretty thick but not overweight (solid muscle)- should I continue with this feeding routine? Or does that seem like too much too often?
She is not a breeding female.

obboi34
02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
generally, one large adult mouse every two weeks is enough for a healthy (not growing/breeding) adult corn. more than that can lead to some health problems. a pic would help some of the senior members determine if your snake is a lil pudgy.

brindle
02-21-2014, 04:11 PM
generally, one large adult mouse every two weeks is enough for a healthy (not growing/breeding) adult corn. more than that can lead to some health problems. a pic would help some of the senior members determine if your snake is a lil pudgy.

I showed a pic and they said she looks perfect. It's just that she is actively looking for a meal... I kind of feel guilty o.O

kc261
02-21-2014, 10:09 PM
At this time of year, she could be actively looking for a mate. But even if food is what is on her mind, remember that in the wild most animals spend most of their time looking for food. When it comes easily & on a schedule in captivity, some animals will eat themselves into obesity, just like some humans.

Nythain
02-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Just an affirmation of what others have said. 1 large *mouse* every two weeks is all most healthy adult corns should need. And as mentioned, if left to their own devices a snake would constantly eat. They're programmed to almost always be looking for food because in the wild, they really have to always be looking for their next meal. In captivity, they will usually calm down shortly after feeding. And after a schedule has been established, they really get used to when and how much they will be getting.

brindle
02-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Ok. One jumbo every 14 days... sounds perfect!