PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year old Hasn't Eaten In almost 5 months.

5 Year old Hasn't Eaten In almost 5 months.

Benzorg
03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
I haven't changed anything about how I keep him since I had him except a larger tank around a year ago but he still ate in that for a good six months before he stopped eating.

He is very very active, doesn't look underweight at all to me (my first snake however so I might not see it if he was)

I've tried feeding a different times of the day, even rubbing some tuna into the mouse before offering it too him, twitching it infront of him to try and get him to strike at it etc...

He went off his food before before but nowhere near this long. It might sound a bit pathetic but Im quite attached to him and its stressing me out to the point of making me ill that I might be failing him somehow :(

Any advice is more than welcome, theres a herp vet I think i can see but its about 2 hours drive.

obboi34
03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm hoping it's just seasonal since my boy is doing something similar. If he's not losing weight he should be fine.

Benzorg
03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm hoping it's just seasonal since my boy is doing something similar. If he's not losing weight he should be fine.

This is reassuring to hear, thanks.

Nanci
03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
It's probably just seasonal maleness. I would try him every two weeks, with something small and tempting, like a fuzzy. Maybe even a rat pink. I have had snakes I tempted with rat pinks then get hooked on rats, though, so if you don't have a ready source of them, I wouldn't do that until he has lost 25% of his weight. (They have all gone back on mice, but for some it took a couple years and lots of persistence on my part. But rat pinks are nearly irresistible).

kc261
03-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Make sure the prey item is nice and warm, especially the head. When I get a snake that doesn't seem interested in eating, I can usually tempt it by dipping the head in very hot water for 10 seconds or so.