• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Vera regurgitated :(

JessKeen

Let me just start by saying that I am aware of regurgitation protocol and will follow it. Just looking for input as to what the problem might have been.

Vera ate a her first pinky with me last friday (7 days ago) and her second on wednesday (2 days ago), so that's five days between feedings. I was a little concerned before giving her the second pinky because she had only had a tiny poop in between and I thought she still had a bit of a bump from the first (my husband disagreed, it was slight). So I went ahead and gave her a pinky on wednesday anyway. This morning she regurgitated it. The back of the neck and top of the head are digested but the rest looks normal.

So it seems to me that either I fed her too big of a meal too close together, or maybe she is too cold to digest efficiently. Her heating pad is 86 isn (I have a thermostat) so that should be fine, but she is burrowing a lot which makes me think her ambient temps may be too low? Would that be a big problem? I don't have my second thermometer yet but I don't imagine her cage gets more than a few degrees warmer than the air in the room, which is only around 65-67.

She is a very little girl, just under 13 inches and around the width of a pen at her thickest point. I will be ordering a scale wednesday.

Is she going blue? That would be the most likely cause of both a lump (hasn't pooped) and a regurge.

Hmm..can I bother her for a few minutes to check? I didn't want to mess with her at all after the regurge. I checked her tank this morning for any sign of poop or regurge (without messing with the hide she was in) and all was well, then an hour later I walked by and saw the tip of her tail going back into her hide, and there was the mouse on the other side of the tank. So I really have no idea if she's going blue.

Are the foggy eyes the first sign?

I decided it would be worth it to check really quick. She looks fine to me, clear dark eyes and her coloring looks normal.

Keep an eye on her activity level. If she is normally active, and now is not, she is most likely going blue, and you just can't tell yet.

She generally hides all the time. I sometimes see her moving about when I walk past but she quickly goes back into hiding.

I spoke with the guy I am buying feeders from next week and he said adding a few newborns wouldn't be a problem.

Should I order nutribac when I order the scale, or do I not worry about that unless it happens multiple times?

I would order it just to have on hand. I always give it for several months following a regurge.

Okay thanks for such quick responses Nanci, I was freaking out for a few minutes there. I am confident that we will get it all fixed, though! I am going to give her until next saturday and by then I will have the newborn pinks and hopefully the nutribac and I will try a half pinky for her. If I don't have the nutribac yet should I wait longer than the 8 days until it comes, or try anyway and just use it with the next feeding?

Back