PDA

View Full Version : Not feeding, very active.

Not feeding, very active.

Dr. Gonzoson
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Dr. Gonzo has been having issues. I was inadequately heating his cage in February, as my housemate started turning off the heat at night. He was getting down to pretty cold temps(prob around 60), and I noticed that about a week after a clean shed, he started to refuse mice. He instead began to rapidly dig in the sand of his tank and has been actively trying to escape every corner of the terrarium. He stops for a time at night, however begins as soon as the sun rises. The vet-hospital I have been seeing assessed that he likely has an intestinal infection due to improper heating and a possible rotting mouse in his system. I got him 5 shots of anti-bionics and the Vet says his physical condition is just fine. His behavior is the same.... I am questioning why a sick snake would be so active. So screw the vet because he wants my money and has brushed off Gonzo's behavior as "normal". I need to know if this activity is common to mating season, or if I should continue to pour money into ineffective vet treatment (another 5 shots of anti-biotics),

Chromatic Corns
03-16-2014, 07:29 PM
How old is Gonzo?

Dr. Gonzoson
03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
He's adopted. I've had him for 5 months. His age is around 4-5 years.

Chromatic Corns
03-16-2014, 07:33 PM
It's mating season behavior. Especially after a period of cooling down and now I'm guessing his temps are back to normal? All my males 2yrs and up are doing the same thing. All they want is a lady friend. Sick snakes do not normally increase activity, try conserve their energy to get better. Horny males looking for love on the other hand are super active

Dr. Gonzoson
03-16-2014, 07:38 PM
This is good to hear. I'm glad that my speculation seems correct. How long does this normally last?

smigon
03-17-2014, 10:57 PM
You are using sand as a substrate? That might be the first problem. Sand can accumulate in their bellies over time since it can't be digested, and it can impact in their bowels. Toss the sand and use a proper substrate, aspen is a great choice and doesn't harm the snake.

The heating for you snake has to be consistent and regulated. Ditch the lamp, it can bring down the humidity in the viv. Get a UTH, one that covers 1/3 of of the viv and put it UNDER the glass at one end. Get a thermostat and digital probe thermometer and place the probe in the middle of the UTH inside the viv but under the substrate. Regulate this temp at 85°, the cool side should be about 75°, the snake will choose the place in the viv where he is happiest. Put a hide on each end, and some more hides or ground cover (plastic or silk plants work fine) in the middle.

Once you have the temperature at a steady 85° you can put your snake in the viv.

The UTH heat will help with digestion, if that is the only problem.

Get some books on corn snakes, the ones I recommend are Kathy Love's and Don Soderberg's books, they are also both members here on this forum. You will learn a lot about your snake and how to prevent problems from happening if you can avoid them.

smigon
03-20-2014, 07:07 AM
I am worried about your snake. Could you answer some of the questions we posted here to help you get the answers you need?

Dr. Gonzoson
03-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I suppose it could be substrate. He has always lived in it, but he definitely could have been eating it. He seems to have no problem passing stool. Would he be this active if it was an upset stomach? He has always been under a lamp but ill consider getting a mat. I have been told the under tank mats wear out and the electrical circuit fuses into a hot spot of like 130 degrees. The humidity is fine with the lamps though I live in Washington. The sand I use is crushed walnut. Its from the pet store. Not sure if this makes a difference.

smigon
03-21-2014, 01:18 AM
I suppose it could be substrate. He has always lived in it, but he definitely could have been eating it. He seems to have no problem passing stool. Would he be this active if it was an upset stomach? He has always been under a lamp but ill consider getting a mat. I have been told the under tank mats wear out and the electrical circuit fuses into a hot spot of like 130 degrees. The humidity is fine with the lamps though I live in Washington. The sand I use is crushed walnut. Its from the pet store. Not sure if this makes a difference.

When you said "sand", I thought you meant like beach sand, where even little pieces can cling to his mouth and he can digest them. Many people here use aspen as a substrate, I can't comment on the walnut.

The UTH is controlled by a thermostat so it only gets as hot as you set it. Mats do wear out, but the bulbs of the lights wear out much faster and are more expensive. Invest in a UTH, thermostat and probe thermometer. I think this may be the reason he is unhappy.