PDA

View Full Version : Finally shed, not very well

Finally shed, not very well

JessKeen
03-20-2014, 08:33 AM
So just before bed I noticed Vera had shed about an inch (including her head, not much neck). I left her alone until this morning and it hadn't moved any further down and felt crusty and very stuck when I let her slither through my fingers. I put her in a big tupperware with rags and a bit of water (hooray for stickies!) but only the parts that had been hanging around her neck came off in there. The rest actually came off in one piece, tail tip and all, as she slithered through the rag in my hands. So it didn't go extremely well, but I think it probably could have gone a lot worse :) luckily her eye caps shed with no help.

She was calm through the whole ordeal, as always (proud mama, here) but I considered it a pretty stressful experience so I am waiting until I get home from class tonight to feed her (14 hours from now). It was been 14 days since her regurge, and she will be getting a half of a newborn pinky. Should I slit the pinky even if it's cut in half? Should I save the other half (frozen) for her next feeding in a week? Thanks guys!!

JessKeen
03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
That should say it HAS been 14 days...I really need to contribute...

Nanci
03-20-2014, 08:57 AM
I cut the pink in half, crosswise, while frozen, and keep the half for the next feed. You don't need to slit anything that has been cut into pieces.

JessKeen
03-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks Nanci :) Do you think it was a good idea to wait until tonight to feed? I didn't want to risk another regurge from the stress of an aided shed.

smigon
03-21-2014, 01:20 AM
I would go ahead and give it to her tonight. Now that she has shed that is one hurdle overcome. Let us know how she is! You are a great snake mama.

JessKeen
03-21-2014, 11:25 AM
I fed her a half pinkie last night. She took it well after licking up the blood in the container haha. I covered the top and sides of her tank with a sheet so the cats won't startle her. I made another post about her size and weight, as I measured her and she is tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smigon
03-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Oooh, good she kept it down. Keep track of all of her progress. I weigh mine before every feeding, note sheds, blue, what they ate (or didn't), and anything else out of the ordinary. It is cool to look back and see how far they have come!

JessKeen
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Well, I *THINK* she kept it down. I covered part of her viv with a blanket so the cats can't scare her and I haven't opened it to look behind plants and stuff because I don't want her to regurge. Tonight around 8 it will have been 48 hours so I will do a quick peek and then leave her alone for another day before I mess with anything.