PDA

View Full Version : how long can he go?

how long can he go?

Spencer
03-20-2014, 12:01 PM
So, this is Where I get the best info. Got a baby, 3 months old, hasn't been eating for two weeks now, I'm just curious how long he can go. I don't think a snake would just not eat until death, is that possible? But when do I need to worry?

JessKeen
03-20-2014, 01:33 PM
How long have you had him? Has he eaten for you before? From what I've read, if a baby suddenly goes off feed it is most likely a husbandry issue. How are your temperatures? Any recent changes to his environment?

Spencer
03-20-2014, 08:40 PM
I've had him for about a month. He ate three times then stopped

Spencer
03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Temps are fine. From what I read. His enclosure is Maybe a bit big, not sure, could it be bad that he is housed Beside another snake?

ZiggysMom
03-20-2014, 10:51 PM
To answer one of your first questions; yes, sometimes a young snake will starve themselves to death. Even for a tiny baby, if he has had some successful feedings, death is a long way off. Use a scale to keep track of his weight. Things start getting more serious when a snake starts to lose weight.

I have several snakes thriving in bins right next to bins with other snakes. If you feel that your snake is stressed by the amount of space, add more "clutter". Plants, plastic or real or extra hides. Little snakes love little boxes. Toothpaste tube boxes, toilet tissue tubes flattened, cut in half or one end pinched closed. If the neighbor snake seems overly interested make a visual barrier. This can be as simple as paper over one bin side between them.

Good luck.

Spencer
03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks.... I used the toilet paper rolls, they never seem interested, It may be because i didnt pinch a lid closed.
I tried to open his mouth the other day, just because I thought if he tasted it he may want it, but he spit it back out. I even left them in his hide on some cardboard for hours. He didnt go near them. its like he hates the smell. He went towards his hide, and then left, and went the opposite way. Its making me very very depressed. My first snake eats anything I put in front of her. I am thinking of taking him to the vet. I hadnt weighed him before actualy. I just weighed him and hes in at 29 g.
Ill weigh him everyday I guess. I just dont know what to do. maybe I should have gone with the king. Im just wondering when I need to take him to the vet. I've looked it up and found one that specializes in exotics, and priced it at about 30 bucks for a consultation. plus extras for tests. I am very worried. dunno wat to do

smigon
03-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Since he has eaten three meals, my guess is he is in blue. I wouldn't start to worry for another few days. Have you noticed if he has gotten dull and has cloudy eyes?

Keep us posted.

Spencer
03-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Nope. Nothing as of yet. No signs of impending she'd....not at all. Still active....just not eating