PDA

View Full Version : Is he dying ? :((((

Is he dying ? :((((

valkyrie90
03-21-2014, 12:00 AM
I have Loki , the snow corn for just nearly a month . I fed him 3 times . But he only kept it down once . He regurgitated twice so I have to start to follow the regurgitation protocol and hope for the best . I let him alone , not handling and this morning I woke up and went check out . He didn't move when I opened the lid , either when I touched him . I thought he was dead so I picked him up to check . He started to move very slowly, and after a while just stops , like unconscious or something . It freaks me out a lot . He used to very quick . He runs away from me all the time . Now he barely moves just like he's dying . We don't have a vet for reptiles where I live so I don't know what to do . Please help me ASAP . Thanks guys .

NH93
03-21-2014, 07:17 AM
You should have started the regurge protocol ASAP. Not just now... regurges, as you can imagine, are very serious.
You need to get Nutribac; this will put the nutrients back into the snake. http://www.mzrproducts.com/

Here's a link to our very own Kathy Love's stuff: http://cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Nutribac%20information.htm

That's about as much as I know to do with regurges myself. Hope someone with more experience can pipe up.
Best of luck.

valkyrie90
03-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Thank you but he died this afternoon . :( . I'm breaking down right now . I'm not confident enough to get any snakes in the future I guess . I'm just a bad owner . :( . I can't deal with this loss . :( . I really really love snakes but i dont want them die in my hand again ...

daddio207
03-21-2014, 10:46 AM
So sorry for your loss :(
Don't beat yourself up. Just coming here to get help showed that you are a caring enough of a person toward reptiles to try again.
Was he a hatchling ?

HVani
03-21-2014, 10:55 AM
So sorry for your loss :(

With the swelling and the seizing I wonder if it was some sort of tumor. Just seems so odd. I doubt it was anything you did.

valkyrie90
03-21-2014, 10:59 AM
yes he is . I dunno how old he was . He's so very tiny and cute . He seemed so fragile to me . It's been only nearly a month but I really really love him . I just wanna see him grow up happily ... I'm not sure if I could ever try again... I feel terrible at this point ...

daddio207
03-21-2014, 11:15 AM
yes he is . I dunno how old he was . He's so very tiny and cute . He seemed so fragile to me . It's been only nearly a month but I really really love him . I just wanna see him grow up happily ... I'm not sure if I could ever try again... I feel terrible at this point ...

Some hatchlings just don't make it no matter how good your husbandry is.
Please try again and this time start with a yearling. At least get a hatchling that has eaten at least 12 times if a yearling is not available to you. IMO hatchlings are not for the first time snake owner. they are just to delicate if something go's wrong in those first few feedings like a regurge. Even those with years of experience lose hatchlings so again don't beat yourself up.
Take some time to grieve then in honor of Loki, give another snake a good home....

HVani
03-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Sorry I got this one mixed up with another

I agree with the above, some babies just don't make it. My very first corn was the same way. She could not keep food down then she passed away.

valkyrie90
03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys . I will consider getting another one in the near future . I think something went wrong with the temp because of the fact that I didn't have a thermostat. So the temp reached to high and caused him dead . I can't get that thoughts out of my mind . If that I really don't deserve getting another one . :( . The pet owner said all of his snake doing good without a thermostat and that his sticky thermometer is fine but now when Loki is already gone I really regret that I did buy what he said . *sigh* . I really gotta prepare better if I ever get another corn .

Nanci
03-21-2014, 03:46 PM
It will be okay. Some babies just get off to a bad start and don't make it. If you can find a yearling or adult, they are _way_ more fun than babies, and a lot more stable, too. Just take your time, set up the viv with the proper equipment (and I can't even imagine how hard it is to get reptile supplies there, but you can at least get by with a lamp dimmer and an indoor/outdoor probed thermometer, if you can't find actual reptile items) and then when you are ready, get another snake. I can tell you love them; it won't serve any purpose to deny yourself having one. Everyone makes mistakes, and learns from them.

NH93
03-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I hope I didn't make you feel bad! That definitely was NOT my intent. I am also so very sorry...
I was under the incorrect assumption that your snake was not a hatchling or a young one... I do sincerely apologize for that.
Please do not feel discouraged! Just take some time, and if or when you're ready again, maybe look back into some care and ease yourself in :)
We'll all be here to support you.

drybgerg
03-21-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your lose. Like everyone else I encourage you to not rule out another corn and when you think you might be ready to try again keep researching this site, get all your supplies before you get the snake and definitely get a yearling or adult.

valkyrie90
03-21-2014, 11:52 PM
I hope I didn't make you feel bad! That definitely was NOT my intent. I am also so very sorry...
I was under the incorrect assumption that your snake was not a hatchling or a young one... I do sincerely apologize for that.
Please do not feel discouraged! Just take some time, and if or when you're ready again, maybe look back into some care and ease yourself in :)
We'll all be here to support you.

Awwe don't be sorry . ^^ . It's ok you didn't make me feel bad . I feel bad on my own since I saw him dead but I feel so much better now thanks to you guys . ^^ . It will take some time to me to get over this loss and move on with another one . I do love to see my snake grow up and all but i'm gonna get a yearling . ^^. Thanks all for the great support and sympathy .

smigon
03-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Oh, I am so sorry about your baby! Don't beat yourself up, you obviously learned from this experience.

Definitely read some corn snake books (the ones by Kathy Love and by Don Soderberg are the best) and get your setup in order with the temperatures correct, and try again.

I agree with trying a yearling, they are more stable and easier to handle.

Best of luck, and let us know when you get one.

Alicia P
03-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry your guy (or gal) didn't make it. Take some time to research and get a good viv setup with a thermostat. Then look for an older snake that is a good eater.

I walked into a pet store when I was 18 to "look around" and walked out with a baby green iguana, a heat rock and a 10 gallon tank. They sold me some pelleted food and never mentioned UV or basking lights. They also never told me that the little guy could grow to be 4 ft long. I named him Rascal and had him for almost 3 months before he died :( I felt horrible!!!

Nythain
03-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your baby snakey. As another member who lost their first snake very young, I can definitely sympathize with the feeling bad part. I know it can be pretty hard to imagine ever owning another one right now, but give it some time. I'd also like to confirm what others have said, sometimes babies just get off to a bad start and don't quite make it. You should definitely look into getting a yearling or sub adult if/when you feel ready to try again. They are much more hardy and as Nanci mentioned, can often times be more "fun" since you can spend more time enjoying them instead of caring for and worrying about them.

smigon
03-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Your Loki helped my Seymour up to snake heaven the next day. Seymour was a rescue, SO skinny and dehydrated that I don't think he had a chance. I woke up and he was gone. Some are just not meant to make it, no matter the circumstances. So now our snakes have wings.

valkyrie90
03-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Your Loki helped my Seymour up to snake heaven the next day. Seymour was a rescue, SO skinny and dehydrated that I don't think he had a chance. I woke up and he was gone. Some are just not meant to make it, no matter the circumstances. So now our snakes have wings.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss . Our snakes now being good friends in heaven I reckon . It's just too hard to accept the death . >.< . Anw , here's my Loki . He's just so tiny and fragile that I was afraid breaking his bone by handling him . :(. I miss him so badly now .http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/choingo/1795599_693684327320888_1041239524_n.jpg

The Cat
03-23-2014, 05:19 PM
That is the cutest, tiniest thing I think I've ever seen. ^^

smigon
03-23-2014, 10:27 PM
That is the cutest, tiniest thing I think I've ever seen. ^^

He IS cute! That was how big Seymour was when he was alive. They are just so fragile and tiny.