PDA

View Full Version : water starvation method

water starvation method

Spencer
03-21-2014, 10:04 PM
So....my guy won't eat. Brained, scented, brained and left in tank all night. Now I heard about a water starvation method. I took his water out last night, idea said if you make them wait and then offer them a dripping piece kg food they will usually eat it. Now he is 28 grams, I want him to be pretty darn thirsty But not dead when I offer the food and then give him back his water (if he takes it). How long do you figure that will take?

Spencer
03-22-2014, 01:26 AM
Anyone have exp with this method?

Nanci
03-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Is this the hognose? If so, you need to ask Chip what to do.

I _have_ heard of the water starvation method.

Here is a list of methods from Jenea Wood- who wrote a little Hognose book which I don't think is published any more. Guardian Reptiles.

In small container overnight.
Chicken broth.
Egg whites.
Frog scent.
Day gecko scent.
Put pink in small container with frog/day gecko for one day, then feed to the snake in the same container.
Split brain the pink.
Lure into feeding mode with a frog, then change to the pink.
Bait and switch- hold a frog or toad in one hand and the pink in the other. When he goes to bite, quickly replace with the mouse. Favorite method for adults.
Thaw pink in warm water. (Note- have you tried boiled? completely different).
Put pink in hollowed out cavity of a frog/day gecko.
Anole scent.
Rub entrails of frog/day gecko on the pink.
Tuna water scent.
Tease with a forceps.
Wrap pink in shed skin of Anole or day gecko.

I have two things to add myself.

Turtle food scenting.

And If you're worried, hoagies are super-easy to assist feed. I'd use a boiled pink, or peach fuzzy.

Hold the snake in one hand. Over a towel. With the other hand, press the nose of the pink against the snake''s mouth opening, and just wait. And wait, and wait, and wait. He should eventually open his mouth, then just ease it in. I fed a WC Eastern hoggy with this method, to adulthood, for nearly two years before she died of another cause. You'll get tired of maintaining a snake like this indefinitely, but it's easy and doesn't take much time once you and the snake get the hang of it.

Spencer
03-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I sent chip a pm a couple days ago. It is my hog....and I know this is corn snakes, But of all the forums, this is the one that I feel is most community like and the other forum hasn't even answered. Plus this one gets quick responses with people I know have experience. I tried scenting with fish oil capsules.... didn't entice. He doesn't open his mouth at all. He hisses and goes away. Anyways, I took to the vet Today, and the vet said that I should give it a week. Then just drop it in. During that week I should up his Temps to make the metabolism work.faster. then drop one in over night, still doesn't work, I should try enticing....he thinks it may just be afraid of the food. And the seasonal change. He said it didn't look like anything was wrong with it ATM. I'll try boiled on second feed in a week and a half.... I'll first drop it in overnight....then 2days later scent, doesn't work then boil. Just Hope he can last that long. Vet also said not to touch him at all.

Nanci
03-22-2014, 01:55 PM
As long as he is healthy, you should have weeks to months. But don't let him get skinny and starved before deciding to assist feed. Doing it once, or many times, doesn't mean he's going to require it forever. With cornsnake babies who won't eat, I start assist-feeding after the third skipped meal. Once I am assist-feeding, I offer whatever trick is up for that feeding. If it doesn't work, assist feed. The next week, offer a different trick. If it doesn't work, assist feed.

I think with a hognose, you're going to have to resort to frog or toad scenting.

AliCat37
03-22-2014, 04:05 PM
How old is he? Like I said before, my male hog nose would go about 6 months before eating, and I could only get him to eat live fuzzies.

Nanci
03-22-2014, 08:10 PM
See- I always forget the male hognose feeding strike thing! So take my assist-feeding advice with a grain of salt.

Spencer
03-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Alicat He's 3 months old.or they said so.
Nanci....as much as I tried to push in hus mouth he just moved away. He won't open. I even tried smacking him around with the pinky, tried this first....because I heard if they feel threatened they play dead. And open their mouth,But he didn't. I did trying a force feed. He spit back out.

Chip
03-25-2014, 04:37 PM
I didn't know this procedure had a name, but I have done it with fair success. Basically, I've seen babies drink off of a wet pink and then start jawing it and wind up eating. Troy (Deadmouse) was telling me he had stumbled upon it as well. I wouldn't withhold water for more than 2-3 days though, a skinny snake has enough probelms without dehydration.