PDA

View Full Version : 7 month old refusing to eat, worry yet?

7 month old refusing to eat, worry yet?

ahzryn
03-23-2014, 10:03 PM
If anyone is around tonight for some quick advice, I'd appreciate it.

Batholomew is an 8/1/2013 hatchling, now 7 months old, 28 grams, 40cm. We've been feeding loosely on the Munson plan, and he's been taking double pinkies every 5 days or so since 1/1/2014. Technically based on Munson and his weight I guess he should be on fuzzies now, but my husband thought they looked way too big on the last stocking trip so he got more large pinkies.

Before now, he has not refused a feed since we got him in early October. He last ate on 3/7/2014, but in retrospect was not as eager as usual. However, he refused completely on the 13th of this month. Unusual for him, but he looked like he might be going into blue, so we didn't push it at all. He definitely went blue after that, and shed on the 18th, no issues. Ok, problem solved, but, he refused again on the 19th *after* his shed.

Ok, checked temps, checked his weight, checked him, everything seems ok. 84 on the warm side (UTH with rheostat and separate thermometer probe on the glass), 67 or so on the cool side. Decided to let it ride, offered again tonight, still refusing.

He's not old enough to be in the spring male funk, is he? He's active, bright eyed, moving around at night, exploring when held. He's just completely uninterested in eating.

He's sitting in his feeding container pretending the mouse doesn't exist right now. Should I put him back in his viv, wait another 4-5 days? Do something specia with the mouse to tempt him? If so, what? We've never hard to work at it all before, so kinda lost. :p How many refusals is too many, or how long is too long to go without eating at his age? On the 19th and tonight we only thawed one pink, at least. :(

ahzryn
03-23-2014, 10:05 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/eteqaba4.jpg

The stinker in question and my daughter playing tonight while the mouse warmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smigon
03-23-2014, 11:00 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/eteqaba4.jpg

The stinker in question and my daughter playing tonight while the mouse warmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutie!!!

I would boil the pinkies briefly, "brain" them (make slices in their sides) so the smell of a home-cooked meal may entice him.

Put him and the pinkies in a container and cover it with a towel. DO NOT PEEK for an hour or so, then see if he has eaten. Another trick is to dangle the mouse above him by its tail, it looks like live prey. He may strike at it, this trick has proved fail-safe on all my kids.

Good luck, let us know what happens!!!

AliCat37
03-23-2014, 11:12 PM
The boiling and braising is seriously the best trick in the book!!

ahzryn
Points to you, braining worked!

Ok, I confess, I girl'd out on this one and made DH do it. I'll do a lot for my kids, but I guess I draw the line at abuse of a mousesicle. My daughter has always done the whole zombie mouse dance thing, and I wasn't sure how long to boil it, so I asked dh to try the slicing thing, and poof, mouse all gone.

The latest batch of mice must not be smelly enough?!? I guess we'll try the usual thaw next week, and if that's a no go, poke holes again now that I know.

AliCat37
Ugh autocorrect!!! Braining.

ahzryn
03-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Lol, braised pinkie. Would that be with white or red wine? :p

AliCat37
03-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Definitely red wine lol
Glad your little kid ate!! I got my most picky eaters going like that.

smigon
03-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Definitely red wine lol
Glad your little kid ate!! I got my most picky eaters going like that.

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..." :uhoh:

Spencer
03-27-2014, 11:29 AM
I prefer my pinkies mid rare. And for me it's more of a beer food.

SteveAlbert
03-29-2014, 05:37 PM
I literally had to google what braising a pinkie is, i hate you!!!

JessKeen
03-29-2014, 08:09 PM
I had to psych myself up to cut a pinkie in half for Vera, and today I sliced a bunch of slits along the back of one for her. It's definitely not easy on my brain to cut them up, haha. One does what one must!