PDA

View Full Version : Possible RI

Possible RI

ShelbyScott
03-27-2014, 01:47 AM
My boyfriend's snake has been yawning often and I can hear and feel a popping noise when she breathes. We are pretty sure she has an RI and we are taking her to the vet. Does anyone know approximately what the cost of a vet visit and the RI medication costs? We just want to be prepared. Thanks!

Nanci
03-27-2014, 06:59 AM
My vet charges $40 for the visit. I've never had to treat a RI, but I have had to treat a sinus infection! I'd expect maybe a grams stain test, maybe an antibiotic shot, possibly oral medication or some sort of meds given via vaporizer. I'd _guess_ under $200, but probably $100-$150. But follow-ups, if needed, shouldn't be anywhere near that much.

Is she due to shed?

ShelbyScott
03-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Sheesh! We didn't really want any tests done..We're pretty positive it's an RI. And the only herp vet we can get to is an hour and a half away. We're going tomorrow. She isn't due to shed. I read that the popping noise can be the skin, but she hasn't even begun to be blue yet.

smigon
03-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Better safe than sorry. Let us know how it goes.

ShelbyScott
03-30-2014, 02:15 AM
Sorry for the late post! When we went to the vet, he couldn't hear any popping sounds. He checked her stool and said it looked perfect, and that she looked perfect as well. We had increased the temps in her viv for an "artificial fever" to help her get through it quicker. It seems that worked pretty well! She is happy and healthy :) We were very pleased with the veterinarian, and her examination, which is all we had to pay for, was $58. Whew! Much better than we were expecting! Lol. I am so relieved to know that she is healthy.

Eli419
03-30-2014, 03:52 AM
That's great to hear!

Sent from my LG Mach using tapatalk

Nanci
03-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Wow- that's great! I always feel so much better when a doctor listens to the snake's lung and says it sounds good.

ShelbyScott
03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone! We feel much better now that a vet has reassured us. We've only had her for two weeks, so we were really torn up about it.

Nanci
03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I got a snake in for a breeding loan once. When he came out of the bag, he was popping when he breathed. So off to the vet we went. It turned out that he had a partial retained spectacle, and he had been rubbing his head against stuff trying to get it off (you could only see this in a photo- not with the naked eye) (well, with the vet's little exam light, you could) and it had caused one nostril and the blood vessels supplying the eye to get all inflamed. I'm really glad I took him in and didn't try to treat it my self at home, because his lung checked out fine, and his sinuses checked out fine. (The vet shines a tiny light through his head to look at the sinuses- so cool!!)

ShelbyScott
03-30-2014, 08:03 PM
I remember looking at that thread! That was scary. We made sure to look in her mouth before we took her to the vet. She had some bubbles in the back of her mouth, but they were just saliva. Coincidentally, the vet did notice some small scabs under her chin...he plucked them off with tweezers, but he didn't seem to think they were important. I might take a closer look at her eyes when I get home.

smigon
03-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Hooray for good outcomes! So glad your new kiddo is okay.

ShelbyScott
03-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Thank you! We are smitten with her :)