PDA

View Full Version : White Patch On Back of Neck?!

White Patch On Back of Neck?!

RedCloud
03-28-2014, 01:27 PM
I decided to create a thread specifically for this as the old one (which had to do with shedding/not moving) is getting a tad long xD So my corn snake, Chipotle, just completed a nice clean shed. When I first got him (about 3 weeks ago) he had this little white "peely" spot on the back of his neck which I assumed was dead skin and would come off in the next shed. I didn't and now it looks a bit different.

This is when I first got him- 179806

And this is after shed-

I can't take him out and inspect him atm cause he just ate 2 days ago. When I made the adoption I asked the guy if he was sick or had any health concerns and he said no and that he wouldn't adopt out a sick snake. ??? He's eating normally, not aggressive and spends most his time (since shedding) hiding on the cool side of his Viv. Temps are all stable and he always has fresh water. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanci
03-28-2014, 01:56 PM
That's weird. It looks like the scales peeled right out of there! I would just leave it alone.

RedCloud
03-28-2014, 02:02 PM
That's weird. It looks like the scales peeled right out of there! I would just leave it alone.

Perhaps a scar from an old injury and they'll grow back? I don't really care, as long as it's not a health problem or something that's going to affect him badly in the long run. I was thinking of taking him to a vet but I don't want to drop $100+ just to be told it's normal/or nothing to worry about lol

AliCat37
03-28-2014, 03:09 PM
I think it looks like a scar. It will take a long time but it will heal

Nanci
03-28-2014, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't go to the vet with that. If anything, I'd put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it, or aloe.

RedCloud
03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't go to the vet with that. If anything, I'd put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it, or aloe.

Antibiotic ointment? Like Neosporin? Wouldn't that cause the aspen to stick to it?

JessKeen
03-28-2014, 03:31 PM
He looks so bright and shiney after his shed! It looks like a scary to me too but I have no experience what so ever. Mostly just wanted to say he looks adorable.

JessKeen
03-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Uh, a scar, not a scary...

RedCloud
03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
He looks so bright and shiney after his shed! It looks like a scary to me too but I have no experience what so ever. Mostly just wanted to say he looks adorable.

Haha thanks! Love the look of shiny new scales after a shed :D I'm really hoping it's a scar. He is a rescue snake, so god knows what horrors he might have encountered before landing in a adoption centre.

Nythain
03-28-2014, 05:34 PM
It doesn't look like much to worry about. Some superficial wounds can take multiple sheds to fully heal from. Pretty much everything everyone else has said. Leave it be, maybe apply a light dab of antibiotic.

dave partington
03-28-2014, 05:56 PM
I've seen this a couple three times on some individuals, especially during winter/dry heat, when it's just not humid enough for some specific individuals. They shed and pull off some living tissue. At first its scabby and after another shed it's like an odd white patch of skin. Eventually however the skin fills in and the color comes back. I've left them alone, no topical this or antiseptic that, there were scales there, at first I thought they were turning into Paradox. Such excitement. and they heal over just fine.

RedCloud
03-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I've seen this a couple three times on some individuals, especially during winter/dry heat, when it's just not humid enough for some specific individuals. They shed and pull off some living tissue. At first its scabby and after another shed it's like an odd white patch of skin. Eventually however the skin fills in and the color comes back. I've left them alone, no topical this or antiseptic that, there were scales there, at first I thought they were turning into Paradox. Such excitement. and they heal over just fine.

Great to hear that it's not serious and something others have experienced as well. I'll let it be and keep an eye on him :)

Nanci
03-28-2014, 08:43 PM
There is an excellent example of the type of injury that _does_ require a vet's immediate attention in the Did You Know thread. The most recent. At the end.