PDA

View Full Version : Time between feedings?

Time between feedings?

JessKeen
04-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Not really a feeding ''problem'', just a feeding question. Since Veras regurge she has had two half pinkies and one whole newborn pink that was thoroughly slit. The slit pink was 4 days ago, and I can still se a slight thickness in her middle. I wouldn't call it a lump anymore, but I would say she's still digesting a bit. She has pooped twice since her last meal.

I usually feed her every fifth day, but if she is still digesting today should I feel her tomorrow? Or should I maybe downsize her to 2/3 of a pinkie if it is taking a long time to digest?

Side note, she looks amazing! In the last couple weeks since her shed she has gotten noticeably thicker and stronger. She is such a sweet girl. I got her out last night and she had been asleep, so it took her a minute to start moving and I got a cute little tummy pic! I'll post it from my phone :)

JessKeen
04-02-2014, 03:56 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/03/dydyzega.jpg
Belly :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanci
04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
If in doubt, wait. One or two more days of hunger are fine compared to another regurge.

The Cat
04-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh my goodness, that's so tiny!

JessKeen
04-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Oh my goodness, that's so tiny!

I know, she's itty bitty! But I'm sure she has gained weight since her last feeding (she was at 6.7 grams before the feeding) she feels thicker and stronger. I was worried when I realized that she was the size of a hatchling when she was supposed to be at least 4 or so months old, but she is growing so I am trying not to be concerned.

As it stands, I think I will feed her tomorrow but not at 6 am like usual, I'll wait until I get home from class at 8 pm. She pooped again today and there is no sign of the mouse in her now. Is it normal for them to poop three times between feedings? She didn't poop at all with the pinky halfs so I figure she was just saving up ;).

kc261
04-02-2014, 09:57 PM
She should poop after every meal and often more than once between meals. But they will be very small poops when she has a very small meal, so easy to miss unless you have her on paper towels for substrate. Also I guess she could skip entirely from a very small meal, but it does seem odd if she had 2 pinkie half meals (therefore a whole pinky) and did not poop.

If it took her 4 days to digest, I'd feed a smaller item until she grows a little, or at least until she has had more time to fully recover from the regurge. Much better to feed a slightly small meal and have her grow a little more slowly than to have another regurge.

JessKeen
04-02-2014, 11:21 PM
It's extremely likely that she had small poops in her viv and I can't see them. She's on reptibark so it would be hard to tell with how little she is. And she hadn't eaten in over two weeks so I'm sure she used up most of the food with those first couple. The last two poops were on me so they were pretty noticeable, and the previous one was on a fake leaf so easy to see.

As for the smaller item, would I just cut off a bit of the pinky? I'm feeding her newborns. It's also possible I'm just paranoid. This morning when I thought she still seemed to have a thicker spot, my husband disagreed.

Ysabet
04-06-2014, 01:44 AM
This actually addresses a question I was about to ask... I'm a new snake owner and have two very young corns that are right now getting a pinky each every five days. My two are growing like weeds and probably have a shed coming up; next feeding's tomorrow morning. They're healthy and active and take their food with no hesitation at all and as they're right at 15 grams each I think they're about to transition to getting two pinkies every six days. I'm wondering, though-- how much should I space those apart during the six day period? Or do I give them two pinkies each right after the other? Thanks, guys.

The Cat
04-06-2014, 01:49 PM
This actually addresses a question I was about to ask... I'm a new snake owner and have two very young corns that are right now getting a pinky each every five days. My two are growing like weeds and probably have a shed coming up; next feeding's tomorrow morning. They're healthy and active and take their food with no hesitation at all and as they're right at 15 grams each I think they're about to transition to getting two pinkies every six days. I'm wondering, though-- how much should I space those apart during the six day period? Or do I give them two pinkies each right after the other? Thanks, guys.

At the same time.

The Cat
04-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Okay, bad wording. Right after the other, I should have said.

Ysabet
04-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Got it. Thanks! Every feeding chart I looked at was missing that little detail.

kc261
04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Yes, when they are ready, give them 2 pinkies at one meal. Snakes are designed to have big meals infrequently.

Kate
04-10-2014, 02:01 AM
OP, if you are worried a whole newborn is a little too big, maybe feed 1/2 a pink on a slightly shorter interval, until she put on more growth :)
That little belly is super cute!