PDA

View Full Version : HELP FAST PLEASE

HELP FAST PLEASE

CornSnakes
04-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I went to a reptile show and bought a new 20 gallon tank [long], and my snake has been "sneezing" since I put him in there. I had him in a 20 gallon tank before but it was cracked so I bought a new one. I was looking around my room where the old tank was and just noticed that some kind of fungus was growing, It wasnt there when he was in it! He looks like he is in shed but his lower area looks to be a little swallon, and had some coconut husk in it. I have googled different things and thought he might have a R.I. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Nanci
04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
What is the fungus growing on?

What substrate is the snake on now?

What part of the snake has coconut husk in it?

If the snake is blue, is he active or hiding?

How often is he sneezing?

Is he breathing with his mouth open?

Is his mouth or nostrils bubbling?

CornSnakes
04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
The fungus is growing where the waterbowl had spilled and where some poop is, but He has been out of the cage for 3 days.

CornSnakes
04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
The fungus just started last night. The snake is on coconut husk now. He's a little active but hides mostly in the day time. He sneezes everytime I take his hide out to get him (he might sneeze more But I dont hear). I dont think he is breathing with his mouth open. When he breathes theres a popping sound

Nanci
04-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Sometimes snakes make popping noises when they breathe, before they shed. Is he for sure blue?

What is the warm side temp, and how and where are you measuring it?

Have you had him on coconut husk before?

CornSnakes
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
He isnt blue? The warm side temp is 67F, I am using a thermometer to check... does it need to be warmer? I have used the same bulb since was in a 10 gallon. He was on coconut husk in the cracked tank just fine [He burrowed when I ad newspaper and tore up the tank, so I got the husk]

cjbage
04-08-2014, 09:00 PM
He isnt blue? The warm side temp is 67F, I am using a thermometer to check... does it need to be warmer? I have used the same bulb since was in a 10 gallon. He was on coconut husk in the cracked tank just fine [He burrowed when I ad newspaper and tore up the tank, so I got the husk]

i think that is way too cold, this is what I found on the husbandry and care sheet on this forum :

"75-80F for the 'cool' side, and 80-85F for the warm side. Try to avoid temperatures below 70F and above 90F."

rich333
04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
First things first.....

Throw out bedding.

Clean the Tank

replace Bedding with paper towels or newspaper.

bump heat up to a MINIMUM of 85* on the warm side.

I'd actually go 87* on the warm side for a few days.

If it is an R.I. the Higher temps will help the snakes Immune system fight the

Infection.

Cool Side about 5*-10* cooler.

Vet Visit!!! (which you may not need....but wouldn't hurt)

rich333
04-08-2014, 09:11 PM
When you say "Thermometer"...... you mean a laser thermometer...right?

we're not talking a Thermometer....Like you'd use to check your temp....right?

zazoo31
04-08-2014, 09:12 PM
You seemed to question "blue". Before they go into shed, they usually go "blue" days or a week or so beforehand. Their eyes usually look cloudy and then clear, then the shed. When did your snake last shed?

We have had our snake for two years and this last time, he was sneezing and making a popping noise for about three days prior and then he shed and it stopped. I was certain he had a RI because the noise was so disconcerting, but he was fine as soon as he shed. I have never heard him do this before.

kc261
04-08-2014, 09:16 PM
67F is way too cold for the hot spot. I'd double check that thermometer, as most people keep their houses at least 67 F, so it's a little surprising the warm side is that low if you are adding any heat at all. What kind of thermometer are you using? The dial ones and stick on strips sold at pet stores are trash.

If it is in fact only 67F in the warm spot, then that is way too cold. That could easily be the cause of an RI. And yes, sneezing and popping sounds are common signs of RI.

Clean up the fungus right away. Just being in the same room as it can sometimes cause health issues.

CornSnakes
04-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I was confused about the "blue" but yes he is. I will do everything you said... Im pretty sure he might just be shedding!

zazoo31
04-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Please adjust his temps though, I don't consider myself anywhere near corn expert and the other posts here are from people who have had corns a lot longer than me. I would raise the temps and watch out for other symptoms, clean out his viv and follow up with a vet if this doesn't stop with a shed/or in a short period of time.

Hebidoshi
04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
You said bulb..are you using a lamp to heat the warm side?

smigon
04-09-2014, 02:49 AM
Here are two great books you really need to read before you get a corn, but better late than never.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corn%20snake%20kathy%20love

http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-Captivity-Don-Soderberg-ebook/dp/B009NI6LK8/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395657654&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=don+soderbeg+corn+snakes

Also, at the top of every subject on this forum there are "stickies". Please take the time to read them until your books arrive, they will help with some of your problems.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341 is a good one to start with.

Kate
04-09-2014, 10:43 PM
What heat source are you using?
Under Tank Heaters(UTH) regulated by a thermostat are better for corn snakes than heat lamps, as they are a nocturnal animal, & evolved to get their warmth via the ground at night, that soaked up heat from the sun in the day.

What kind of thermometer are you using to measure your temperatures?

Is there an overall warmer room in your house you could keep him in? Maybe one that doesn't open to the outside, or have large windows?

NH93
04-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Please read the sticky on the main page about proper corn care and vive setup.

I don't know if others have been tip-toeing around it, but that sounds to me like a respiratory infection, due to VERY low temperatures and high humidity, and possibly a mixture of the mold you mentioned.

Just as a simple explanation... of course there could be more to it, and I could be wrong. But that's my initial thinking of the situation. Get your vive corrected ASAP and I'd also say take your corn to a vet.

Best of luck!