PDA

View Full Version : Very upset.

Very upset.

plasticoamericano
04-17-2014, 10:05 PM
I had a yearling corn until last week when due to space and a couple other issues (management at apartment) I had to rehome. I had gotten him as a rescue. He was well established with me for about four months. Eating a good sized hopper every week. F/t and once in awhile a live treat (under close supervision) because he really preferred them live. I always fed him in a separate rubbermaid. Long story short, I gave him to a girl from work who had never had a snake before but seemed up to the task. I gave her a few frozen fuzzies (small because that was all I had) and told her the process to thaw out and to feed him in a rubbermaid with no substrate and the whole process. I told her to give him four or five days to get used to the enclosure she set up then to go ahead and feed him one of the fuzzies.
Yeah...
I got a text from her yesterday. She forgot to thaw the fuzzie at all. He ate it. She even took a pic of it. Today, she says he's acting normal. I'm horrified. Because of work and school I haven't been able to go see him.
I know he isn't my pet anymore but I can't help but feel responsible.

Kate
04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Oh my goodness,please CALMLY teach her, & keep us posted, I hope he'll be okay!

LazyLemming
04-17-2014, 10:29 PM
How the heck do you "Forget" to thaw one?

Hopefully she learns better.

plasticoamericano
04-18-2014, 12:45 AM
I will keep everyone posted. I have no idea how you forget. I was livid when she told me. But she says he isn't acting out of the ordinary and I asked her to send me pictures of him and call me if he starts acting strange. I'm trying not to be mad, but I am just grateful it wasn't a frozen hopper. Anyways. I'll keep everybody posted. His name is Hadrian (roman emperor) and he's a motley.

zazoo31
04-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Wow, I am sorry, I can't imagine how worried you must be. Even if you aren't familiar with snakes logic would tell you not to feed frozen food :( I hope he does ok.

Nanci
04-18-2014, 05:29 AM
Maybe the best thing is to get her into a routine of getting out the feeding container, thawing the fuzzy, then getting the snake and putting him in with it. I hope he's okay...

daddio207
04-18-2014, 09:12 AM
I can see the potential of this going awry. Hopefully the snake will digest the frozen fuzzy and be fine. My concern is the keepers reaction to it if in fact the snake does come out of this without ill effects.
We see it with every google search, people making statements that go against all we know to be correct. I hope her reaction if all does go well isn't "I had no issues feeding UN-thawed feeders" and passing that info on to others either verbally or in print on the net.
Educate her and if all is well, make sure she understands it is never acceptable to feed un-thawed to your snake. This wrong will never be right.

NH93
04-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Very good point Daddio207. I would be just as upset as well, OP.
I don't even know what to say... I hope everything goes well. It can be really tough giving up the things or pets we love and just hoping for the best, and that care for them as much as we did.

plasticoamericano
04-18-2014, 12:35 PM
I agree 100 percent daddio. He did his business last night and I made her send me a picture of it and it looks fine. No regurge and it didn't look like there was anything undigested in his poo. So I am thinking he is going to be ok. I'll post an update in a couple days.

AliCat37
04-18-2014, 03:15 PM
My friend fed a boa a frozen rat once, before she knew better. The boa was fine, but boy was it scary.
I would raise the temps, because if it didn't thaw it could cause a regurge.
At least, the bright side, a fuzzy is much easier to thaw than an adult rat!!!

Kate
04-22-2014, 09:17 PM
SO glad he's okay!

Spencer
04-23-2014, 03:01 AM
Wow. Scary ordeal. I'm always worried after a couple hours room temp if there still isn't a Bit frozen inside.

smigon
04-23-2014, 03:01 AM
I wonder if he got "brain freeze"!

Spencer
04-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Mouscicle....lol

plasticoamericano
04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Seems like he is doing well. Thank God.