PDA

View Full Version : can a snake not poo?

can a snake not poo?

Spencer
04-20-2014, 11:24 AM
So Roxy eats every Monday. It's now Monday. I'm sure she hasn't pooped yet.I went digging for the blackish brown gold Today. Nothing. Is it possible she needed all the nutrition and didn't need the waste? She isn't near shed. Can it take longer than a week? She's usually at 4 days. Could something be wrong?

SteveAlbert
04-20-2014, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Check your temps and the make sure there's water in the bowl. I bet by now there's some poop in the tank.

smigon
04-21-2014, 03:21 AM
Yes, sometimes they can be hard to find or the snake just didn't have much to excrete. Keep on the feeding schedule, and just keep an eye out for it.

Spencer
04-21-2014, 04:16 AM
Smigon... thanks. Seeing as how Today is feeding day, wasn't sure.

smigon
04-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Smigon... thanks. Seeing as how Today is feeding day, wasn't sure.

Yeah, I saw that and wanted to make sure you get her on the same feeding time. No need to worry yet!

kc261
04-21-2014, 11:24 AM
If you are really worried, you could try giving her a soak. That tends to produce a poo if they have one in them. But I don't think missing one poo is reason to worry if everything else seems good.

Spencer
04-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Yea...no, I fed her an extra big meal this time. She should have a Nice big juicy one for me in a few days. If not, then I will start to worry.

smigon
04-22-2014, 04:16 AM
If she ate then I'll bet you get a nice gift in a day or two!

Nanci
04-22-2014, 07:31 AM
One reason for pooping is the snake is blue. The snake will go blue and become inactive before our eyes can detect a change. If the snake hasn't pooped, and could be blue, that is the time to withhold feeding, or feed small.

Spencer
04-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Hey nanci. Thanks for the reply..my girl has stages of blue. First, she goes a little blurry on the underside pattern, then she goes dull all over....then after a few days, she turns blue. Three days later she turns clear and around 5 days later she sheds. She's not near blue. I woulda noticed within a week. She's not due for at least another feeding probably 2. Even in blue though, she poops good.

Shaggy
07-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Can a snake go two weeks and feedings in the same condition?
(no pooping)
My snake has eaten right on schedule - but not poop "reward" in those two weeks. Time to worry?

Spencer
07-06-2014, 04:41 AM
What feed weight and weight of the snake?

Nythain
07-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Can a snake go two weeks and feedings in the same condition?
(no pooping)
My snake has eaten right on schedule - but not poop "reward" in those two weeks. Time to worry?Depending on the species, "a snake" can go months (3+) without pooping. Specifically dealing with corn snakes, 2 weeks wouldn't cause much concern for me. There's lots of different reasons that could delay normal pooping, most of which are perfectly natural/normal.

nancyg
07-06-2014, 10:40 AM
It sounds like you check her over pretty well regularly. How long are your handling sessions? Sometimes the exercise makes them poop, either on you, or after putting them back in their cage.
I've also had mine poop right after eating. (making room for more?)
or even better, they poop right after I've done a full change of the cage, so I get to change it again (grumble)

Shaggy
07-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks to the community here!
I gave her a chance to soak and swim in a small holding tank, half full of tepid water. That was the trick, because shortly thereafter - there was a big mess to clean up! (only parents and pet owners are happy to see poop, I'm pretty sure)
Now there's a shed from last night in the tank too, so she'll be back to her normal mischief in a few days, after digesting.
Thanks again to all!

Nanci
07-07-2014, 02:48 PM
So that would be why she wasn't pooping, because she was inactive in her blue phase.