PDA

View Full Version : Adult Corn Not Eating

Adult Corn Not Eating

Snow Bird
04-21-2014, 05:23 PM
One of my 3 corn snakes, Aphrodite, a female (I was told by a breeder that she was female) that will be 4 years old in July, isn't eating. She hasn't eaten in 3 weeks as of yesterday. She's in the same tank that she's always been in (by herself) and she is in the same place in the room she's been in for almost 5 months. Her heating temp has always been the same so nothing has changed in that way either.

I have had her since she was a hatchling and she's never refused a feeding; even when she was in blue. I didn't see a regurged mouse or anything, but I did find something in her tank. It was hard but I am not sure if it was dried up poop or a regurge that was mostly digested.

If she regurged, shouldn't she be somewhat healed by now? It's been 3 weeks since she last ate. Or could it just be that it's breeding season and she's more interested in mating? She's never done this before. Do corns suddenly have this behavior after 2 years of being considered adults?

I know snakes can go a pretty long time without eating, but it's just so unlike her. What do you think I should do now and if this continues?

TyeW
04-21-2014, 06:48 PM
As far as I know, if a snake has regurged, you would smell it pretty quick. I've only ever had one regurge though so I'm not certain. It isn't unusual for snakes to go off feed during breeding season, but I think it's usually more males that do it. Can you give an accurate measurement of temperatures in the enclosure (hot and cold)? What substrate are you using? I would not be worried at all with it only being 3 weeks, some of my adults are only fed one jumbo mouse every 15 days. Has she lost any weight?

obboi34
04-21-2014, 09:06 PM
breeding/seasonal change is most likely. try feeding her in tank to see if that helps. If she isn't losing weight, keep trying every week or so, but know that your snake is doing fine, despite the food refusal.

smigon
04-22-2014, 04:15 AM
^^^^^^^This. All of my adults are off this season, all four have refused at least one meal, but everyone has eaten now, two are male and two females. Give it time, try again next week but watch her weight.

What are the temps in the viv?

HVani
04-22-2014, 09:42 AM
+3

My adult female has been off feed for a couple weeks. She's been so active but refusing food. I think it's the time of year. I fed her in her viv last night and she took a rat pup.