PDA

View Full Version : Big boy getting bigger

Big boy getting bigger

smigon
04-25-2014, 10:00 AM
My biggest corn was 2.5 years when I got him and about 750g. They had him on a rat only diet, but I switched him to 2 XL adults after 3 weekly feedings once he got here and settled. I switched him to mice because rats are so fattening and I hoped he's reached his full growth weight.

In the few months I've had him he has gained almost 100g, and is really active almost all of the time. He refused one mouse last week (but ate the first) before I realized he was blue. Last night he downed 2 XLs with the quickness.

Why am I puzzled? He is all muscle. He is lean, not fat in the least, and very active. At the rate he is going he will be 1000g in a few months.

Is this normal and what is the biggest you've known a healthy corn to be?

Nanci
04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
How often are you feeding him? (I'd be feeding one med-large mouse every three weeks.) I have seen corns in the 1000-1100 gram range, and they are starting to look chubby. I don't think there is a point that they stop growing in weight. I monitor my big ones so they are only gaining 5-10 grams every three week feeding.

smigon
04-25-2014, 08:00 PM
I will do that. He just gets so excited and gobbles his mice so quickly you'd think he hadn't eaten in months, but like I said, he is lean and all muscle. I definitely would have stretched it out longer if he was getting fat and lethargic. He gets fed every 7-8 days.

Thanks!

thewad71
04-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Can you post a picture of him?

smigon
04-27-2014, 05:48 AM
Can you post a picture of him?

I will try in a couple of days, I fed him just a couple of days ago and he is holed up in his hide on the warm side, so as soon as he poops I will get him out (with a crane!).

Kate
04-30-2014, 08:53 PM
That sounds like the feedings are REALLY frequent for a snake that big, & it's probably contributing to his prodigious growth. I'd default to the more experienced but my 2 cents would be to spread the feedings out to 21 days or so, & I can't wait for pics!