PDA

View Full Version : quick digestion

quick digestion

MakersMarked
04-27-2014, 06:41 PM
It turns out the gram scale I used with my first corn is busted, so I haven't been able to start my new baby bloodred on the Munson Plan. I'll be buying a new scale in the next week or so, but until I do, I have a question:

If my snake poops less than 24 hours after eating, is that an indication that the pinks I'm feeding her are too small? My first corn was on the Munson Plan from the start, and he always needed at least 2 full days/nights to digest his food.

(My current corn, Agitprop, is a little over 3 months old and about 13-14 inches long. I've been too scared to stretch her out against a tape measure in case I hurt her.)

Thanks!

MysticExotics
04-27-2014, 06:52 PM
How many days apart are you normally feeding? The poop could be from the previous feeding.

If you pick prey size based on 1.5 times the widest part of the snake, you should be fine.
When in doubt, go a little smaller.

MakersMarked
04-27-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm feeding her every 4 days (so I've only fed her twice since I got her). But I swap out her paper towel while she's in her feeding tub, so I know this isn't leftover poop.

I *think* the pinkies are 1.5 times her width, but the mice are kinda flattened out, so I don't know if that counts. :P

Nanci
04-27-2014, 07:12 PM
That's an aggressive feeding schedule. I'd stay small, and truthfully, I'd go with five days.

If you Google serpwidgets snake measurer you can find an easy app for measuring your snake. It's fun.

MakersMarked
04-27-2014, 07:15 PM
That's an aggressive feeding schedule.

But doesn't the Munson Plan say to feed every 4 days when they're babies? Or am I misunderstanding the schedule?

MysticExotics
04-27-2014, 07:24 PM
I didn't mean left over poop, I meant the poop could be from the previous feeding. As close as the feedings are, the poop may be from the time before you fed.
For example, let's say you fed yesterday, 4/26, and the previous feeding was 4/22. The poop on 4/27 might be from digesting the meal from 4/22. Does that make sense?

I generally feed babies every 6 or 7 days apart. Occasionally, I will feed after 5 days, but then usually wait 7 days the next feeding them.
If you are going to be feeding that frequently, I would definitely stick with smaller meals.

The Munson Plan is a guide to work off of, it's not meant to be a general rule.