PDA

View Full Version : Silver Queen with yellow ~~~~~:~

Silver Queen with yellow ~~~~~:~

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
06-29-2002, 09:32 PM
My silver queen 01 is starting to develop a yellow coloring under her upper "neck" area. Does this give any info on her background? Or do they develop this color naturally? Just curious about why this is happening. I was thinking she would stay dark. Sam~~~~~:~

pdrau
06-30-2002, 12:59 AM
If she's developing yellow, she's probably just a ghost and not a silver queen ghost. At least that is the indication of what I've read on Rich's site. Maybe he can give some insight into this. Someone told me that my ghost was a silver queen and she has yellow on her too. I think she's just a ghost. Silver queens appear to have no yellow on them if I read what Rich has on his site correctly. Blah now I have to go reread it.

Peter

Rich Z
06-30-2002, 02:24 AM
I guess you guys haven't visited my site since I updated the cultivar pages. Shame on you all! :p

I've put in more photos and some code so you can select photos from a group of thumbnails right on the page. It is amazingly efficient code (provided by Danni Wilson), and I thought you all would be impressed.

Anyway, take a look at the Silver Queen Page (http://www.serpenco.com/cultivars/squeen.html) . There are about a half dozen photos there of some different Silver Queens which are a subset of my breeding stock. As you will see, some have traces of yellow and some do not. Note that the text says that 'some completely lack yellow', and this is plainly evident in the photos.

Yellow is still a wildcard in the corn snakes. If have lots of examples of both xanthic and apparently axanthic animals, but cannot come up with any rhyme nor reason about what is going on with them. Is one or the other a true genetic trait? If so is it recessive, dominant, or co-dominant? Does something else have to be in the genetic mix in order to influence whether it is evident or not?

So far the current leading theory I have is that ONLY animals that pip when the second hand of my clock on the wall is between 10 and 12 will be axanthic animals when they reach maturity. Unfortunately I cannot prove it because I am never around to catch exactly when a snake pips the egg. But it is just as logical as everything else I have seen with this color showing up. :rolleyes:

pdrau
06-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Hehe, but I did look at it Rich! I like the way the pics work now. Really great stuff. Would it be worthwhile to get a male silver queen ghost from you to breed with this ghost that I have? Or would that be putting the process in reverse for producing silver queens?

Peter

Elaphe_Mo
07-01-2002, 09:35 AM
I've got a pair of silver queens, the female has tons of yellow down her neck, and the male is completely clean and yellow-free. I may end up getting another female hopefully with less yellow since I'm not too crazy about it. I guess it's just luck.

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-01-2002, 11:42 AM
OK Thanks, Beanie, my Silver Queen is a ghost. She looks most like the last one in the thumbnail shots. Rich got me... I forgot about the post. I love how easy it is to just click that little mouse and wala I'm there, flooded with insight, facts and humor. Thanks again. Sam ~~~~~~~:~

pdrau
07-01-2002, 04:12 PM
I'm still confused as to what I have though. LOL She's real silvery and light colored and has yellow down about a third of her body. Time to buy a digital camera!

Peter