PDA

View Full Version : Is she old enough to be affected by the spring?

Is she old enough to be affected by the spring?

Rilee
04-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Ok, so my female snake, Pepsi, isn't even a year old yet and she has always been a perfect eater, only refusing one meal when I first got her and she had yet to settle in. But two weeks before now when I went to feed her, she took FOREVER to finally eat, and that was after she sat in her tub for 1 1/2 hours(she usually finishes in 20 minutes, tops). So that wasn't much of a problem, at least she had eaten. But then last week I left her to eat and after two hours I finally removed her from the tub, put her in her tank, and threw the hopper away. At the time I wasn't too worried, I just assumed I hadn't noticed her in blue and that she would be shedding for me. Though, now I don't think this is the case as I've checked her cage and came up with nothing. Today is feeding day and I threw the hopper in with her at 7 and she'll put her mouth around it, but then pull away and just ignore it. Do you think she is just distracted by wanting to mate? She's not three years old yet so I wouldn't think so, but I just don't know. I've never had a female during the spring and I'm not sure if this is normal(granted I only had 1 snake before her). Should I take her to the vet? Or leave her be and try again next Wednesday? Also, I slit all the mice I feed her, and she won't even react when I nudge her with a bloody mouse.

Chromatic Corns
05-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Yes but that doesn't sound like spring fever to me. All mine with the breeding bug ignore the food entirely. Could there be something in her mouth making her uncomfortable? Have you checked for breathing issues. Hold her to your ear and listen for any crackling, popping or whistling. Open her mouth and look for bubbles or any discoloration. Spring fever also seems to cause a case of "ants in the pants" where they can't sit still and do a lot of roaming the edge of the tank.

smigon
05-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Scarlett did that two weeks in a row, sniffed at it, mouthed it, left it alone. Then yesterday she started laying slugs.

She is 2 1/2 years old and has never been with another snake, so I didn't know what was going on. Keep your eye out for eggs, and wait to offer her another meal until she settles down.

Rilee
05-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Thank you guys for the answers.

@dreamwallaby I just took her out and examined her, she looks and acts healthy. Her breathing is normal and when I finally managed to open her mouth, it was a pale pink and clean. And now that I hear you talking about being all active and whatnot, I don't this this is the springs fault. She acts just as she would any other day, if only it weren't for her refusal to eat. If she again won't eat by next feeding, I think I'll just go ahead and take her to the vet.

@smigon I guess I will setup a nesting box immediately. I don't see any bulges on her but I don't want her to get egg bound so it's better to be safe than sorry. Would she still get egg bound from being too small/young anyways? I'll keep a look out for slugs but I was planning on going ahead and trying to feed her next Wednesday and if not take her to the vet, as long as I don't see any eggs. Would it hurt her if I offered food and she WAS having trying to lay eggs? I just hope she's ok.

JenniferDeGregory
05-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Ok can I ask a stupid question? I have a 15 month old female corn snake...it's just her, and I'm not breeding her...is she still going to lay eggs? I know that might sound stupid, but I don't know if they're like chickens and just lay eggs even if there are no babies inside. Orville has been acting strangely the past two weeks, being VERY active during the day, and I don't know what's wrong with her??? She's eating normally, but I've never seen her be this active...I like it because I get to see her more often, but I'm worried. :( Could she have eggs inside her that are stuck? Or do they only lay eggs when they've been bred?

Chromatic Corns
05-02-2014, 01:49 AM
Some will never lay eggs but they are capable of producing eggs without needing a male, they'll just be slugs in those cases.

Chromatic Corns
05-02-2014, 01:50 AM
That's good that she sounds normal, hopefully she will be eating again soon

smigon
05-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Ok can I ask a stupid question? I have a 15 month old female corn snake...it's just her, and I'm not breeding her...is she still going to lay eggs? Could she have eggs inside her that are stuck? Or do they only lay eggs when they've been bred?

First of all, no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who don't bother to ask! I wondered the same thing last year. This year Scarlett is about 2 1/2 years old and was going nuts in her viv, I had no idea, she has never been bred or with a mate.

A few days ago she started laying slugs, 8 total. Her viv is next to a male corn the same age, he has been active too. So yes, it IS possible and apparently common for females to lay even if they haven't been bred, and it is just like chicken eggs, no viable fetus inside.

The only thing I would be worried about too (you more so than me, Scarlett has a year on yours) is becoming eggbound. Keep a close eye for them, but leave her alone and don't try to feed right now. I held Scarlett and felt very carefully but NEVER felt eggs, I thought she was just a healthy growing girl, now she is 130g (down from 180 before she laid) and is just limp and empty. Just watch for her to try nesting and what happens after that.

Good luck!