PDA

View Full Version : Likely RI with female corn

Likely RI with female corn

quidamphx
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
My female corn has been acting strangely over the last few weeks, most of which is due to searching for a nest (she's not bred, but often lays slugs every year).

She laid one slug yesterday, and is still quite plump (obviously has more to go!), but is also exhibiting signs that I interpret as a respiratory infection.

I hear multiple sneezes/quick abrupt hiss sounds that are different from when she just wants to be left alone, accompanied by a rather unusual amount of mouth adjustments. She's also rubbing her face on things. No popping noises or noticeable laboured breathing, or musus discharge. Her viv is at proper temps so i doubt it's a specific habitat issue, although i did just move about a week and a half ago so she's probably a bit stressed.

How sensitive is she to being transported to the vet while carrying eggs? I was going to try a recommended home remedy involving vaporub and eucalyptus oil in the meantime as I'd like her to pass the eggs, and also my vet isn't open until Monday.

http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/snake--respiratory-remedy.html

Please weigh in on this 'solution' and if it's a smart idea, as well as any other ideas. I know RIs can progress quickly - is she going to be reasonably fine until next week or during this home treatment? I know there's a fine line between reacting too slowly and jumping the gun at every little symptom. Figure you guys know best :)

Thanks, Tom.

NH93
05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Has she had a pre-lay shed (or when was her last shed)?
What specifically are her temperatures and humidity, and how do you measure and control these - especially the heat; do you use a thermostat?

quidamphx
05-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Her last shed was about 3 weeks ago.

Her heat is a UTH controlled by a seed growth thermostat. It varies by 2-3 degrees and is set to keep temps at 88F. This is measured at the contact area of the glass that touches the substrate; the hottest part the snake could ever touch. Above the substrate is cooler but she often burrows. I don't have a humidity gauge, I usually watch for difficulties shedding or condensation/moist substrate. Her last shed was one piece.

Have you ever known anyone to try the above 'remedy'. I'm curious as to how safe it is. Obviously if symptoms stay I'll be making a vet trip but I'd rather not just let her sit over the weekend if I could be making beneficial steps to help her get better.

NH93
05-09-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't have experience with an RI myself so I can't say. I'm mostly replying so you get a bump in the new posts section, because I think this deserves a few other opinions at least! There are a few other methods to stopping RIs before going to the vet; some of which include turning up the heat and humidity together (again, no personal experience so perhaps find a thread about this elsewhere before you try it). If it were me I'd try a couple safe at-home remedies before going to the vet, unless it was very clearly an RI with mucus. In this case it may not be.

Best of luck!

quidamphx
05-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Like any forum, I don't trust everything I read, but this link had some responses from people that have tried this remedy.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/home-remedy-respiratory-infections-one-185378/

I just put my corn in a similar setup and tried it. She didn't seem to be inconvenienced in the slightest (only 10 mins exposure) and is back in her tank to be monitored.

She did however drink for a solid 1.5mins when she returned and has been doing a TON of mouth adjustments and gaping for the last few mins, and is now resting with her head elevated. Still no mucus and wheezing that I could hear when transporting her, although it definitely seems like all the symptoms point towards an RI.

My old basement before moving a couple weeks ago was cold, and even though her tank heat was regulated I'm sure it was still colder in some spots. This winter in Canada was brutal.

I'm expecting her to show some more pronounced symptoms right now as this 'remedy' would likely cause the same reaction in snakes as in humans; loosening mucus or blockages in the airways.

She's going to be closely monitored over the next few days. Please continue to post feedback and I'll update with the effectiveness of this solution.

quidamphx
05-10-2014, 06:39 PM
After the 'treatment' last night and once this morning, there hasn't been any sneezing/wheezing or mouth gaping at all. I know snakes take a while to get over a sickness, but at the very least there are a few good signs as she's not having difficulty breathing.

Also I didn't know this, but she definitely just farted. I heard it and no deposits were made. It might be a precursor to the rest of the eggs being laid. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to catch that on camera! :)

quidamphx
05-12-2014, 02:34 PM
So I took her to the vet this morning.

It's a mild RI that was caught early; likely doesn't require antibiotics but I opted to get 3 doses as I'd rather do that now instead of finding out later and needing more than 3, and also cause this week is so busy I can't properly monitor the snake. Cause is likely due to a lowered immune system from the stress of laying eggs.

The steaming remedy of Vicks and eucalyptus is something she approved of to treat symptoms. They apparently do the same thing but with a neubilizer.

Thanks for the responses! Snake should start to improve soon.