PDA

View Full Version : Corn not eating and laying infertile eggs

Corn not eating and laying infertile eggs

janice0418
05-12-2014, 01:15 AM
My corn snake has refused to eat for almost 3 weeks now n I'm getting very concerned for her. She just finished shedding and for the first time in 13 years starting laying eggs on her own. She doesn't want me to touch her and sometimes she'll sit there with her mouth open... I added more bedding to let her hide and care for her eggs... does anyone know why she's acting like this and what I can do about it?? =(

Nanci
05-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Make a lay box for her out of any plastic container with a lid, with a 3" diameter hole cut in the top. Put in damp very wrung out orchid moss. Put her in it and leave her alone. After 24 hours, remove her from the eggs. She should be done laying. Feel her belly to make sure she doesn't have any retained eggs. if she does, and an egg is stuck and she is straining to lay it, take her to the vet. If she has an egg higher up, and is not trying to lay it, consult the vet but it's probably safe to wait until after her first big meal, to see if that pushes it out. When she is done laying, feed a small meal like a hopper that evening, and then a few days later, a small adult mouse. She will go blue immediately after laying.

smigon
05-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Make a lay box for her out of any plastic container with a id, with a 3" diameter hole cut in the top. Put in damp very wrung out orchid moss. Put her in it and leave her alone. After 24 hours, remove her from the eggs. She should be done laying. Fell her belly to make sure she doesn't have any retained eggs. if she does, and an egg is stuck and she is straining to lay it, take her to the vet. If she has an egg higher up, and is not trying to lay it, consult the vet but it's probably safe to wait until after her first big meal, to see if that pushes it out. When she is done laying, feed a small meal like a hopper that evening, and then a few days later, a small adult mouse. She will go blue immediately after laying.

^^^^^^^^^This. The same thing has happened to several of us this year, for one of my females I was too late to figure it out and make the lay box. She immediately went in, laid 12 slugs, and two days later crawled out and died. I hope your girl gets through it quick and easily.

janice0418
05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Should I keep it heated to 85F as usual and add lamp or not? In the pictures I searched up I didn't see any lamps or heating pads to monitor temperature

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

smigon
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Keep the temps the same, don't add a heat lamp, they do nothing for corns except lower the humidity, they are more detrimental than good for corns.

janice0418
05-13-2014, 10:58 AM
My corn was flinching when I tried to touch her, so I set up the moist moss next to where she's been staying and she went there herself! She looks more relaxed now. Hopefully she'll lay the rest of her slugs and b okay

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

smigon
05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Oh, good to hear. Keep us posted!