PDA

View Full Version : Want to know what you all feed!

Want to know what you all feed!

Bekah
07-31-2004, 02:10 AM
I would like to know (for those of you interested) the size of mice, how many and how often are fed to your snake.

I'm also curious to see if anyone else is feeding two regular feeders in one day once a week as I am.

Missy
07-31-2004, 06:16 AM
i feed my youngest one or two fluffs once a week, then i feed my elder 3 a adult mouse every 7-10 days.

Skye
07-31-2004, 12:14 PM
hatchlings - one pinkie every 5-6 days
yearlings - one weanling every 7 days
adults - females a mouse per week; males one mouse per 10 days

Neumann
07-31-2004, 12:19 PM
We have two yearlings 28 and 26.5 inches. We've been feeding them two fuzzy hoppers every 7 days. We're just now switching them over to small mice (one every 7-10 days).

Cheers,
Jason

MegF.
08-01-2004, 10:58 PM
My 33" amel is eating medium adult mice once a week. She was a year old in June. My 24" aztec is eating two fuzzies every 5 days. She is a year old this month. She will be moving up to one hopper every 7 days soon.

Krenna
08-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Mine is on pinkies right now, but I am going to moving her up to large pinkies soon. I feed her every 4 days. But only because she is for a breeding project.

If she was more for a pet it would be once a week.

marg
08-02-2004, 12:06 PM
hiya :wavey:

I've been feeding my little snow corn 2 pinkies every 4 days for the last few weeks till last friday when I fed it a fuzzy which was regurged within 24hours :( s/he is also in shedding routine,
so I guess I leave her/him be for a few days and then feed 1 pinky 7-10days from last feed????

will it be ok to feed earlier than 7 days if it sheds before then?????

I never have had any problems with feeding at any time up to this last one and I think that was because I fed him/her a few days too soon.

thank you

Skye
08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
I would wait at least 7 days, and preferably 10 days to allow the snake to recover from the stresses of the regurg regardless of when he/she sheds. I would also feed one pinkie on this feed. I suspect he/she just wasn't ready to move up a food size yet,

Good Luck, Skye

watthe
08-02-2004, 03:06 PM
How do you no wen to move up a food size? Also what size do you think a corn shuld be befor moving up to a fuzzy?

Dayoh
08-02-2004, 06:53 PM
I feed mine one f/t pinkie once every 6 days, same question as watthe how big should my boy be before moving his feeding to more frequent or bigger mice?

mykal
08-02-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a ‘02 aztec about 48 inches. I most always feed my corn frozen/thawed or depending on his feeding schedule and my shopping schedule, he might get fresh killed. I feed him an adult mouse or a weaned rat every 10-14 days.

marg
08-03-2004, 04:25 AM
hiya Skye :wavey:

thanx for putting me straight on that :)

even though I should know cos I read nearly all the posts, its surprising how you get really unsure what to do when it your own 'baby' LOL :confused: :rolleyes: :o

I think s/he is ready to go up to fuzzies. I foolishly fed him 4 days after his last feed of 2 pinkies and I think I should have waited maybe 6

thanx again

stuart
08-04-2004, 01:25 PM
hes a year and a 1/2 and eats weaner rats / rat pups or small mice, all given 1 at a feeding. btw, snakes go MAD over rats, i was even scared of my snake at one point.

Bekah
08-09-2004, 03:31 AM
hes a year and a 1/2 and eats weaner rats / rat pups or small mice, all given 1 at a feeding. btw, snakes go MAD over rats, i was even scared of my snake at one point.

Stuart - I'm curious...how big is your cornsnake? I'm thinking baby rats are a bit too large for my corn right now, but I have a feeling I'll be heading that direction sometime next year. Could you give me approximate diameter and length.

Also...is anyone else feeding baby rats or even adult rats for that matter???

leia
08-09-2004, 11:46 AM
I feed f/t fuzzies currently, I am anxious to move up to full sized mice but gotta wait till my snake is ready.

Since his regurg about a month ago, he'd had normal sized food about twice now. He never used to care much, but now he goes into like a feeding frenzy! It is kinda of exciting, but still a little scary (the 1st time he remained suspended off my wrist while his head went into the feeding chamber, he was striking at lot at the mouse so I didn't wanna upset him by trying to get him off). He'll strike all over at the plastic in the feeding thing until he gets the fuzzy. He seems to have put on a little girth since this has started, so I'm thinking the regurg turned him into a piggy. So I'm happy, that means my little guy wants lotsa food & to grow big.

Ulster-Redneck
08-09-2004, 02:41 PM
the simple way to judge the size of food item to give your snake is the old trusted and tested method of one and a half times the size of your snake at its thickest part.this is the best way i can discribe it for you.hope this helps.

Ciryluk
08-09-2004, 09:32 PM
My 3 biggest yearlings (at 3ft'ish) get 1-2 Small-Medium Adult mice once every 7 days! My 18 month old Crimson is a fussy bugger... she is also 3ft'ish but fairly slender for her size is eating 2 big Rat Pups/Rat Fluffs every 7 days... she never seemed that keen on mice! :shrugs: I have 4 yearlings between 24 and 30inches long they eat 1-2 large fuzzies/small mice every 7 days, my smallest yearlings are still only on 1-2 fuzzies a week! :)

I have 5 new baby corns that hatched between late may and late June... on Sunday they got their first meals with me... a small fuzzy each but the next day all their bulges have gone so next time I'll feed bigger or more than 1! ;)

My 3 week old baby Pip is on 1 Pinky per week at the moment... my 7-8 week old Anery is being assist fed at the moment.. pinky heads! :-puke01:

Chez :cool:

MegF.
08-09-2004, 10:44 PM
My 3 ft. amel is fairly wide in the girth and is eating 1 medium mouse, my aztec is about 2 ft and quite slender. I'm getting ready to move her up to hoppers.

stuart
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Stuart - I'm curious...how big is your cornsnake? I'm thinking baby rats are a bit too large for my corn right now, but I have a feeling I'll be heading that direction sometime next year. Could you give me approximate diameter and length.

Also...is anyone else feeding baby rats or even adult rats for that matter???

hello, well, not entirely sure, so hers a picture i took trying to use with snake measure, but thats useless, so try this :D. rat pups really arent that big beck. about 2-3 inches. no bigger than a small mouse. he just loves rats. even tho mice are a lot better for him, rats are too fatty. not enough goodness in them. but he loves em.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/TG10-Mk.1/mitch-size.jpg

Bekah
08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Stuart,

If you were to guesstimate would you put your snake at about three and half feet? One more question for ya...how old is your corn?

stuart
08-12-2004, 10:20 AM
yeh about that, his shed came out as about 4 ft, but i wouldnt say hes that long, the skin must have stretched, he will be 2 in march, thats how long i owned him. not his age he was about 3-5 months old wen i bought him