PDA

View Full Version : Shedding problem from mites?

Shedding problem from mites?

Fizz
05-27-2014, 07:58 AM
So I rather *stupidly* bought some driftwood last night and within hours my corn had mites (I did clean them, I swear these things are immortal). I noticed at 3am and sat her in the sink and picked all the mites I could see on her off by hand since they were getting under her scales and were seemingly unaffected when I bathed her. Since I pulled all the ones off that I could see, I haven't found any more on her as I kept her in a tub separate from her viv for the rest of the night.

The biggest problem I have right now is she is shedding, so as I'm handling and bathing her the shed began to come of in small pieces as it rubbed against my hands; is this likely to cause problems with her when she fully sheds? Because there is now pieces of her shed missing to I assume it means the rest will not come off whole? (She's never had any problem with her shedding, maybe I'm just overprotective). :awcrap:

I am going to boil her viv decorations which are all non porous for a few minutes (I'll assume they cannot survive that), although now I have a stack of driftwood where I assume the little buggers came from, will boiling this kill any hiding in there also? Or should I just soak them? How many times will they need cleaning to break the breeding cycle? Gah, I hate mites for ruining her perfect shedding record!

*Side note: should I treat my hog hatchling who lives next to her viv as if he has mites too? Rather be too cautious than let him get infected as well. :(

TyeW
05-27-2014, 09:12 AM
If you can see the mites, you will need to actively treat your snake. Bathing and picking them off won't do much. You will need to use a diluted nix solution or prevent a mite to eradicate them. And yes, your other snake needs to be treated if he is in the same room. Treatment will occur 3 times, there are instructions onlinr

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk