PDA

View Full Version : Lots of problems, Finally ate, What next?

Lots of problems, Finally ate, What next?

LazyLemming
05-31-2014, 02:27 AM
Igneous last ate on March 30th and weighed 700 grams.

When he stopped eating he was very very active and we assumed it was a breeding season thing. Iggy seemed fine.

About a month ago he started showing signs of shed (loose scales, very dull belly) but never went blue. We were thinking that it was likely taking a while because he wasn't growing from the hunger strike.

Last Thursday (5/22) Igneous had calmed down and stopped roaming, we figured this would be a good time to feed. We pulled him out, he ignored the mouse and sneezed several time. A close inspection told us the bad news. He had a RI.

The following day Friday (5/23) we took him in to see the vet, where he was diagnosed with a minor upper resp. At this point he had dropped to 648 grams. Vet gave him a shot of B12 and gave us Orbax to be administered orally.

The following day Igneous went blue (crazy blue... like completely opaque eye scales.) He shed yesterday in 2 big pieces, eye caps and all.

We are seeing improvements in the RI, no more sneezing, wheezing, mucus or bubbles. Just a tiny crackle occasionally. We figured now would be a good time to try for food.

AGAIN he refused his mouse (F/T Jumbo mouse). He wanted nothing to do with it. Since we're pretty desperate for him to friggen eat I decided to try one of the F/T fuzzy rats we have for our baby boa. And huzzah he took it pretty quick!

So after all that... now what? We're going to continue the orbax treatment, 2 more doses left and follow up with the vet for the RI. But what/when should I feed him next? Should I go with the fuzzy's for a little while? Try a smaller mouse than the jumbos? I'm ecstatic that he finally ate something, but I'm lost where to go from here.

smigon
05-31-2014, 02:40 AM
I would go back to his regular feeding. Rats are a great treat, but they tend to be too fatty for corns and can cause them to become overweight. I would wait 7-10 days to feed again (just a mouse), just make sure he pooped, then give him another few days before feeding again.

Good luck!

drybgerg
05-31-2014, 06:49 AM
Snake that size most would be feeding a 25-30 gram mouse every 21 days.