PDA

View Full Version : When will it stop. Diet and scale issues now.

When will it stop. Diet and scale issues now.

Spencer
06-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Ok, So I recall All snakes are going flipping nuts because they need to get laid or whatever...

But I got issues. My girl, Last three feedings, she wont eat when offered, instead becoming more interested in getting out. And when she does eat, Which is only if I leave a mouse brained in her cage over night, she only eats a large fuzzy, not a hopper/ weanling. She was previously on weanlings for a long time. If I leave a weanling in, she has grabbed at it once, and then decided to leave it, she only eats the hoppers.

And second issue. When I wake up, shes sleeping, Usual, But when I come home from work, shes all over the place, and she has pressed against the glass so much that the scales have become a bit damaged by the nose.

Question is, When will this stop.... when Can I get her back to regular feedings, why is she eating like this, etc. I heard alot of people snakes gone off feed completely.... shes still eating fuzzies, I left two fuzzies one time, over night, she only ate one... brained of course. I like feeding in a seperate place though.... so when can this happen....?

I just want things to be normal lol

AliCat37
06-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Have you placed a lay box in with her? She may have slugs she needs to pass

BloodyBaroness
06-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Are you 100% sure "she" is actually a "she?"

Food refusal and tank cruising like this sound a bit like spring time male behavior.

Spencer
06-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Nanci. I'm not sure now. You placed doubt in my head. If she is a he, he must have psychological issues now, naming him Roxy. He is demonstrating male attributes such as jerking. Pet store guy said it was female.

Spencer
06-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Oops, bloody baroness (like the Potter reference, I literally just finished rewatching the series 10 min ago)
Thought you were Nanci

BloodyBaroness
06-03-2014, 11:19 AM
LOL! No worries! Nanci and I are friends, and I don't mind being mistaken for her. ;) And I totally love Harry Potter too.

That behavior really does sound like male "it's spring and where are the ladies?" types of things. I have a few males totally off feed myself right now.

Here is what I would do, double check everything. Check your temps, check your heat source, and tank. Make sure your husbandry is good and make sure your temps are in the right range. If all of that is in check, it might be worth waiting this little episode out.

Can you post a picture of your cage set up?

I would not sweat about calling him/her Roxy, I've got a male snake (that incidentally came from Nanci) named Foxy. :)

It looks like Roxy is past the age where popping to sex is safe. Probing would be your best way to determine gender, but it's not something I would suggest you try without experience. It's not all that uncommon to get snakes that are not sexed correctly. However, unless you are planning on breeding, sex is really not a big deal. You could possibly change the name to a gender neutral name, if you think Roxy might like it better, but otherwise, you should be okay.

Nanci
06-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Also- feel her belly to see if you feel egg bumps. Infertile eggs (or fertile eggs!) can also cause loss of appetite and restlessness.

Nythain
06-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Also want to throw this one out there. You mentioned a lot of nose/face rub and scale damage. She could be refusing larger meals because they're too painful to eat. I'm currently fighting a bad case of nose rub with Isis who woke up from her winter slumber more active than ever before. Just a thought.