PDA

View Full Version : Baby Corn Snake Constipated

Baby Corn Snake Constipated

ldslady84
06-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I wish there was a laxative for snakes cause Wall-E has a blockage. My friend noticed a lump in his body. I took him to a pet store yesterday to see what size of pinkie he needed and they told me not to feed him now. I haven't fed him for 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago he vomited. I think cause it was too big for him. Hence why I brought him this time to the store. I've been putting him in warm water and trying to squeeze it out of him. And that's the worst feeling ever cause you're trying not to squeeze to help. And I love him so much that the "gross" factor doesn't kick in. I got a little out. But that's it. If he doesn't get better, I'm going to have to take him to the vet. I'm doing what I was recommended. Any advice from what I should or shouldn't do. Even though I might be obsessed with snakes but I still have a lot to learn. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/23/a8etaver.jpg[emoji216][emoji216][emoji216][emoji216][emoji216][emoji216]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nanci
06-22-2014, 05:57 PM
You should probably take him to the vet. You might kill him if you continue squeezing him. He regurgitated because it wasn't going through.

Myca
06-22-2014, 06:40 PM
I think I already would have taken him to the vet.

AliCat37
06-22-2014, 06:43 PM
That doesn't look like constipation to me. I also agree this requires a reptile vet.

MysticExotics
06-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Constipation would be a lump at the tail. I agree that he needs to see a vet now, and please do not try to squeeze it out of him. You can do much more damage doing that.

ldslady84
06-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Oh OK. Thank you so much everyone. I'll take him to a vet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jordanmurphy10
06-22-2014, 07:48 PM
I heard if they swallow the aspen when eating it can block or twist there stomach or something, I don't know if it's true, just though I'd share, I agree you should take him to the vet though

ldslady84
06-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I took him to the vet. Got all kinds of x-rays and diagnostic testing done. I just found out yesterday he had cryptosporidom disease and I had to put him to sleep cause if I didn't he would just die slowly from starvation. Love you Wall-E.

The Cat
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry you had to euthanize your baby, but I think it was a better way for him to go than starving. :( Poor thing. Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.

HVani
06-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Oh no :(

How sad, so sorry for your loss

MysticExotics
06-29-2014, 03:58 PM
I am very sorry to hear that.
I would take the vet report to the petstore. Likely they have other infected animals.
Be sure to disinfect very thoroughly.

smigon
06-29-2014, 05:03 PM
This sucks. I am so sorry for your loss of your scale baby, you did what was right. It is a learning curve, and sometimes the owners have to learn the hard way. You did right by him, any yes, if you do get another corn choose one of the awesome breeders on this site. It is corn baby season, and there are and will be LOTS of corns for sale in the classifieds section below this one.

Not pushing you into a new one, but when you are ready there will be another little guy available to you. And yes, crypto is a death warrant for the most part, so scrub that tank like there is no tomorrow and toss out any items from the viv. It isn't worth the contamination problems.

Again, sorry for your loss.

zazoo31
06-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your snake. You did what you could. I am glad that your little guy got the care he deserved.

Phruit Dish
06-29-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm so, so sorry to read about your loss! Grieving the loss of a beloved pet is such a difficult time. My thoughts are with you and Wall-E.

gocamels
06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
One more thing to add Crypto is VERY resistant to most disinfectants. Bleach will not kill it, and neither will alcohol (eg, hand sanitizer gel). The best, easiest way to kill it is a 30 minute soak in hydrogen peroxide. You'll need several big bottles, most likely, because you want to use it straight. Do not dilute it with water.

Shiari
06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Personally, I would just throw everything associated with his tank, including the tank, away.

Nanci
06-30-2014, 10:18 AM
That is terrible news. I am so sorry for your loss, but it is WAY better that you found out before you had a whole collection and it got spread to them and you had to euthanize them all. I, too, would throw away everything. You can't take the risk. And don't buy a new snake from that petstore- just let it go. Take a store credit or something. Buy from a breeder. Poor baby! Poor you!!

ldslady84
06-30-2014, 10:36 AM
When you talk about buy from a breeder what does that mean? And how would you look for one?

Nanci
06-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Where are you located? In the US, or somewhere else?

ldslady84
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm in West Valley City, UT

hypnoctopus
06-30-2014, 06:28 PM
There are lots of reputable breeders on this site. If you scroll down the front page, you can see the classifieds section. Most breeders can also ship, so if you don't find one you like locally, you should be able to have it shipped to you. You can also check faunaclassifieds.com for more selection. A lot of the breeders here have their location listed under their username and picture, and if they don't, you can always ask where they are located.

I'm so sorry your little guy was sick.

ldslady84
07-01-2014, 02:24 AM
No problem. I'll definitely check it out once I get my finances situated. I am also wanting to test my Xavier, a ball python to see if it got it too, just to be safe. Just waiting for him to poop. So I could give the poop to the vet to test.

ldslady84
07-01-2014, 02:25 AM
I have my moments where I miss my Wall-E but the blue feeling comes and goes. I just can't watch this video I took of him the night before he went to sleep.

kc261
07-01-2014, 06:57 PM
So sorry for your loss. i hope your BP is safe. I'd just throw out everything, because I've heard so much about how hard crypto is to kill.