PDA

View Full Version : My unusual situation/emergency >o<

My unusual situation/emergency >o<

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 12:24 AM
Well I just rescued this approx. 2-4 year old snow corn. Tank and all. The owner even gave me the thermostat. The problem is the tank is a mess. :crying: The substrate also looks like cedar or something to me. :/

I was planning on waiting a few days and letting her settle before cleaning it, but then I looked closer to what I thought was poop.... That's not poop. What should I do? Should I clean her tank despite the fact I've only had her since this morning?

Sorry for the crappy photos. I know it looks gross. That's why I want to know if its okay to just put her in another container and clean it up without having to wait days and days.

Also there is a ridge going down her back. Is that her spine?? Otherwise she has been very active and looks healthy despite her tank.

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Also I want to point out that it doesn't look like a regurge. If it is then its very old and dry. There were a bunch of plastic plants that I just tossed out that must've been covering them.

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that the owner was feeding her in the tank. So maybe these ones were just never eaten b/c of shed or something?

Chromatic Corns
07-13-2014, 12:59 AM
I would just go ahead and clean the tank.Then after everything is clean and set for a healthier go at life, give her a week to settle in without handling or feeding. I would not leave her in that.

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Thanks. I feel absolutely the same.

ghosthousecorns
07-13-2014, 01:16 AM
It's hard to tell from pic if the snake is too skinny or not but the ridge of the spine being visible could be a clue it may be too thin. A snake in good condition should have a "loaf of bread" shape.

hypnoctopus
07-13-2014, 01:33 AM
I think the 'leave them alone for a week' rule is more important for babies. For your girl, I would get her out of there and get the tank properly cleaned up. I can't tell from your pictures how thin she is, but if her spine is quite visible, she may be a bit skinny. Once you have cleaned and fixed her tank, I would then let her settle in for a few days and then weigh her and feed her whatever size is appropriate for her weight (or a little smaller for the first few feedings).

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 01:12 PM
She's very happy. Finished around midnight last night. So worth it.

I need a better camera >-<

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Despite her troubles she was wonderful in terms of me holding her while I was moving her to another container before cleaning up her tank.

zazoo31
07-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Good luck with her and glad that someone like you is there to rescue. Last pic looks nice :)

Nanci
07-13-2014, 05:26 PM
That was poop- no doubt.

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
some of it was poop but there was at least was uneaten/partially eaten mouse.

honey.bee
07-13-2014, 06:19 PM
correction:***one uneaten/partially eaten mouse.

ghosthousecorns
07-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Can you try to take a pic from the top looking down on that snake? It's still hard to tell, but she does look like she may be a bit ribbon-shaped (too thin)

ravendance
07-14-2014, 12:12 AM
She looks adorable! Good luck with her :)

smigon
07-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Good for you on rescuing her! I agree with the cleaning and moving her into her new home, either way she will have to adjust, this way it is in a clean viv!

honey.bee
07-16-2014, 06:08 PM
So I can't get a picture good enough to show her close up however I can see a clear indent going down her back when shes out moving around in the tank. This should go away eventually? Shes around 400 grams. I was surprised at her weight. Maybe 3-3.5 feet long. I fed her last night. She took it immediately. Such a relief!

I do have a question about water. Actually this is a question for both of my corn snakes. Both of them love to submerge themselves in the water bowl and then slither around. My biggest concern is more the adult girl I just rescued. (She drags around a lot more water than my baby ghost girl.) A lot of the aspen becomes damp. Not exactly soaking wet though. Is this okay? the humidity hangs around 30-50%. I'm just worried that if I only completely change the aspen once a month will it mold?

smigon
07-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Definitely get the wet aspen out, try putting the bowl in a pie tin or something larger than the diameter of the bowl, it will catch some of the water and add a "splash pad"!

hypnoctopus
07-17-2014, 02:29 PM
An indent, as in a valley? She sounds like a good weight for her length, so if she has an indent, it most likely indicates muscle tone. If her spine was protruding, then she would be underweight.