PDA

View Full Version : Clogged Nostrils - Substrate

Clogged Nostrils - Substrate

SteveAlbert
07-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Short Version:
Substrate used for snake was soil and is replaced now. Nostrils are clogged with soil and water won't clean it out. Snake is in shed-post blue state(if it matters).

Long Version:
A rat snake of mine lives on soil, i didn't like the fact that he drank misted water off the soil at times but i was told it's ok. He had a problem with RI when i first got him and it was treated at a vet and he's been A-OK since. I noticed he's been keeping his mouth open for the last week. On further inspection, his mouth seemed perfectly clean, no mucus or anything. I kept investigating and nothing. Temps and humidity are monitored all the time.
I later found some black soil on top of his mouth - no good, i figured he'll wash it down when he drinks. Few days later, still, mouth open at times yet clear mouth, no excess saliva at all. I now noticed his nostrils are completed blocked from what seems to be soil(all black). I tried dabbing it with water and a q-tip with no go.

------------
Call to Action:

Step 1 - Get rid of soil and replace with coco husk and some moss(To suit it's high humidity needs).

Step 2 - Do i wait for him to shed? and hope the black stuff comes out or do i give him a 30 minute/hour long bath.

PS: I never like to post anything not related to corn snakes on these forums therefore if i ever post anything regarding another snake i try to make it as general and informative to corn snake owners. Having said that, the question here is

1. Is it possible for a snake to get it's nose clogged by substrate such as soil? 2. What do you do when that happens?

SteveAlbert
07-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Whatever was clogging it came out with Shed. All good now!!!