PDA

View Full Version : bad shed maybe? Help!

bad shed maybe? Help!

D'artagnan14
07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
This is My first snake, baby corn, about 6 months old, looks like his skins really tight? Towards it's tail his body is all kinke and he can't straighten or really move it. He has a hard time moving at all. The skin by his tail is all flaky but no where else. He seemed fine this morning curled up on his warm side, now he is just laying straight out. We tryed bathing him to loosen the skin but it didn't work. Please help I'm worried!

hypnoctopus
07-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Are you able to post a picture?

D'artagnan14
07-15-2014, 10:03 PM
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmUXtBhrsGSA9I2VnBUD3r3M_Nw4?qid=201407 15181759AAmJI9s I think that's a like to the pic

hypnoctopus
07-15-2014, 10:09 PM
I can see the picture. I've never seen anything like that, so I can't really be of much help. I know you tried bathing him, but maybe also make a humid hide for him. When was the last time he shed?

D'artagnan14
07-15-2014, 10:26 PM
I just got him about 2 weeks ago so this is the first time I've had him while shedding. We tryed missing part of his enclosure to get it more humid. He didn't seem mad or anything. He's very docile and let's us handle him with no problems. His tail just looks funny.

MysticExotics
07-15-2014, 10:43 PM
How much of his body does that kinking take up?

D'artagnan14
07-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Maybe 2 1/2 in right by his tail. he's a little over a foot. He hasn't always been like that it just started today

MysticExotics
07-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Can you take another picture of full body so we can see for reference?

HerpsOfNM
07-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Has he had access to water at all times since you picked it up? What are your temps within the cage (if you have analog thermometer and humidity gauges please ditch them for a more reliable digital thermometer)?

D'artagnan14
07-15-2014, 11:23 PM
These are the best I can get

D'artagnan14
07-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Yeah I've always had clean water in his bowl. 80 on the hot 70ish on the cool

hypnoctopus
07-15-2014, 11:25 PM
It just doesn't look shed related to me, but I dont know what it is. Did his eyes go cloudy?

D'artagnan14
07-16-2014, 12:04 AM
I hadn't noticed he seemed agitated two nights ago but he was fine the next day. I dint know if it is shed related but his skins sluffing off and he was rubbing on things easier but he's do lethargic now

MysticExotics
07-16-2014, 12:20 AM
The only thing I can think of is possibly MBD. Other than that, I have no clue.

Edit to add: I can see MBD happening if the baby was only fed crickets or something.
I know some pet stores feed crickets to baby cornsnakes.

D'artagnan14
07-16-2014, 12:47 AM
Im not sure what mad is. And I'm not sure what they feed him. They told me to feed him pinkies

MysticExotics
07-16-2014, 12:52 AM
MBD is metabolic bone disease.

D'artagnan14
07-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Is there anything to fix it if that's what it is

MysticExotics
07-16-2014, 12:55 AM
There is, but I would get that snake into a reptile/exotic vet, because that may not be the problem.
Edit to add: I would hate to see you waste time treating for something, if it is another problem.
That does not look very good, and I think the quicker you figure out what is going on, the better chance the snake has of surviving.

Where did you get this snake? Have you notified them of this?

D'artagnan14
07-16-2014, 01:06 AM
I got him at a reptile shop abd yeah I called them earlIer and told them he was kinked toward his tail abd the said it was shedding and give him a bath. I'll try to get him to a vet asap if he survives the night

MysticExotics
07-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Best of luck. The pet shop doesn't sound very helpful, unless they just do not understand the full situation.

Please keep us posted.

smigon
07-16-2014, 01:59 AM
I agree, that is something I have never seen before, and it doesn't look like a shedding problem. When was the last time he ate, and did he poop afterwards (within a few days)?

D'artagnan14
07-16-2014, 02:02 AM
He ate last week. Today was his feeding day but I didnt try cuz he was like this all day. Thank you all for your help! If anything else happens I'll keep you updated

D'artagnan14
07-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Baby dart had to be put down took him back to the shop we got him at and they said he had a break in his spine and thats why his body kept kinking up he will be missed :( we do not know how it happened either

hypnoctopus
07-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry. If and when you feel ready to get a new baby, I really recommend going with a reputable breeder.

D'artagnan14
07-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Thank you and Yeah the place we got him from really is a nice place and they had a 9month old that looks just like baby dart and we may get him later on down the road but the guy was really sympathetic with me cause I was really down I just wish I knew how it happened he said numerous things could have happened that we may not have even noticed but im glad he isn't suffering anymore

Rigby & Marcy
07-19-2014, 11:33 PM
So sorry for your loss. :(

MysticExotics
07-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Baby dart had to be put down took him back to the shop we got him at and they said he had a break in his spine and thats why his body kept kinking up he will be missed :( we do not know how it happened either
Sorry for your loss.
Personally, I would not put much stock into anything the pet store says, if they were so quick to dismiss it as a shed problem.
I do no think that a break in the spine would cause that kind of kinking the rest of the way down the body.

Aw, I'm so sorry. If and when you feel ready to get a new baby, I really recommend going with a reputable breeder.

I agree with this.
I would not get any animals from that pet store.
Be sure to discinfect any/everything in his cage before putting another one in there. Not knowing what cause that, I would not want to take a chance at possibly affecting the new one.

D'artagnan14
07-21-2014, 02:09 PM
What would be the best way to like disinfect everything that is in the enclosure?

smigon
07-22-2014, 12:43 AM
Empty everything and soak all the decorations in soapy water, scrubbing thoroughly and rinse well. Boil all the decorations that can be boiled in water with a little bleach for about 20 minutes and rinse well. Use a bleach solution and hot water to scrub the entire tank, rinse and dry, and let dry in the sun if you can. This SHOULD kill any possible diseases he may have had.

But I am so sorry about your loss, I have to agree with Heather that a broken spine shouldn't have affected his whole back like that. Even though the pet store people are nice, it doesn't mean they have good husbandry or know that much about corn snakes. Definitely go for a breeder from this forum, there are some really great morphs being born right now, and you can find exactly what you want. Check out the BOI towards the bottom of the main page to check the reputation of the breeders you are looking at.

Best of luck, and stay in touch.

MysticExotics
07-22-2014, 01:54 AM
I use like Maxima 256, and rinse thoroughly, for anything questionable. I also let cages sit out in the sun for a couple days. Then I clean it out with something simple like vinegar/water.

F10 is another good cleaner, as well as Nolvasan.