• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I need to know

unknown101

I am getting my first corn snake soon and i was wondering if someone could tell me all of the things i need to know about taking care of corn snakes and feeding them so if someone could tell me that would be great.

unknown101

Search the internet for corn snake care sheets to get an idea of what you need to do, and browse the forums for all the more specific information you need. Corns are pretty easy to take care of. I would invest in a book or two (most people say Kathy Love's Corn Snake Manual is a good choice). Make sure you do a lot of research before you get your snake, so that it is healthy and happy as possible.

Here is a LINK TO A POST that made some time ago. It covers basic care and also has a small list of books you might want take a look at. Congratulations on your endeavor. Corns are interesting little critters.

Cheers,
Jason

Shall we pick one out and mail it to you? Shall we come and feed it to for you?

If your don't even bother to do a google on snakes yourself, let alone buying a corn snake book, please don't buy one. And if you prefer to get 'the cheapest possible way' go to www.isellmysnakeonedayafterhatching.com and you should be fine. I heard sick snakes don't cost much either.

Shoeboxes are very cheap housing for a snake to. You can put them on top of your refridgerator.

But please 'unknown'. If you put so little efford in your new pet, please don't purchase one. I bet you don't even know corns can live up to 20 years. Can you handle that? If you want a pet, take a low maintainance hamster.

Jicin - Easy, easy. Please don't take this wrong...I know it's frustrating, but please, let's try to be nice. I believe unknown mislead us a little by saying s/he was going to be getting his/her first cornsnake soon (as in already had one picked out), but then it became an issue of how to find a "cheap snake".

Unknown - Simply put, you get what you pay for. Why don't you look in the forum on this site that lists snakes for sale...that way you may be able to find a GOOD, HEALTHY snake at a reasonable price. The alternate to that is to post under the forum of snakes wanted to buy...that way you may be able to find a reputable breeder in your area at a price you can both agree upon.

But Jicin is right...you do need to look around a little. This place is for asking questions and that's fine...heck, I ask a lot of questions, but you also have to take a little initiative!

No offense meant to anyone...just my opinion.
:)

I think such people should be discouraged from purchasing a snake. Not encouraged.

A snake isn't so expensive. But the viv is. And you'll need to go to the pet store and feed it mice. He also will need a hiding space in wich he will be 95% of the time. After feeding, you should not handle or bother the snake in any case for at least 48 hours. Clean the water about every other day. And when you go on vacation, you'll need someone else to feed him mice for you.

Have you thought out if your really prepared to do all that work?

Hi unknown,
You shouldn´t pic a snake for the price of it
If you want a healthy, happy corn you should look att the snakes eyes, they should be clear and shiny, you also look att the snakes body so that it´s smooth no scars or anything. A healthy corn also plays with his tounge a lot and is very curious. Ask as many cuestions as possible about the snakes eatings, sheds and drinking rutines.

Before we got our fisrt corn we read a lot of books about what you need to know before we got one and trust me it´s a lot of responsebility and a lot of worry in the beginning. Even though we read a lot before bying the snake we had a lot of problems in the beginning.

My best advice to you is to save some money so you can buy a healthy snake and a warm and beautiful cage....and while doing that read as much as you can about this beautiful creature...sara

I have a feeling that unknown101 isn't jumping into owning a corn snake prematurely, as some seem to think. This is a good place to find answers, and I'm sure that this thread was started as a way to get pointed in the right direction. And, I would want a cheap snake too. I don't mean that I'd look for the cheapest animal I can find, disregarding health and such, but I wouldn't want to go to someone who sells the snakes for way too much. However, if I were just starting out I wouldn't know where to look, and I would probably ask that kinda question on this forum.

I do believe that it is better to educate someone than piss them off to the point that they don't try to learn any more.

He's not even prepared to actually go to the main page and klik on the link 'Corn Snakes For Sale'. It's really not very diffult you know!
Please let noone here actually sell him one. To me he had a big neo sign 'animal abuse to severe neglect' above his head.

Not necessarily....A lot of people aren't comfortable with computers, and would overlook something like that. Don't you think that it is a good sign that he's looking for information? I realize that a bit more effort could be put into it, but many people don't know where to even start looking. I think he came to the right place.

His effors are zero. He just wants to know how cheap they are, were he can get one and how big it gets so it doesn't take up much space. You just know he get's throw into a shoebox and get's ditched when it's not new anymore.

These things happen SOOO many times. And i think i'd handle for of the sake of the snake here. When in doubt, just don't get one. It's the snake who suffers not the owner. He just buys something else. Do you actually believe 'unknown' will take good care for a pet that can become 20 years old? I don't.

I think that what we should do then is to educate unkown about caring for a snake. If we tell him that it is a big responsibility and explain what is involved, then perhaps he will decide for himself whether or not owning a snake is for him.

Being a little harsh?

I think some of you are being a little harsh. I don't think there is anything wrong with starting out with an inexpensive corn like a normal or an amel. You can get these for $20-$30 dollars from most breeders but many pet stores, which I would not recommend anyway, will often charge up to $70 for the same animal. All firsts in life are learning experiences and if you have to have a bad learning experience, which is always possible, minimizing the possible damage is no crime.
Good luck with your endeavor.
Erin

While Jicin has some good points I believe that Flyging does as well.

To unknown...browse through the forums...if you can find this forum (Health Issues/Feeding Problems you can surely scroll down the screen and find the forum you are looking for.

This is a wonderful place to learn, make friends and ask questions, but at the same time a certain amount of initiative must be taken to obtain what one is looking for.

I think that unknown should do a little more research before going out and just buying a snake...you sound a little young to me...and as Jicin said you can buy a snake relatively cheap, but there is care involved with that AS WELL AS WITH ANY OTHER ANIMAL! And as I said before...you get what you pay for sometimes.

I'll be honest, I'm a first time corn owner, but I also understand the care and time involved when you are responsible for another living beings life...and not to toot my own horn, but I feel justified in saying so because I own 2 beautiful German Shepherds who are happy, healthy and well behaved, a goldfish that is absolutely gorgeous not to mention a very smart, very gifted 7 year old daughter. I think ANYONE must understand the concept of responsibility for other lives (whether human or animal) before deciding on having either!

Once again, just my opinion and no offense meant to anyone whatsoever.

are there any breeders near toronto or cambridge that are selling hatchlings? if so wut kinds of corns are u selling?

Unknown...

Please try posting this question under the Forum "Corn snakes wanted"...you may be able to locate someone near you

Back