PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

Help!!!

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:32 AM
I've just woken up at 5am and my room is freezing and my housemate left my window open. I've closed my window and checked on my cornsnake rolo. At first I couldn't see him so tore my room apart. I think lifted his cage and he has buried himself under all the aspen. I'm guessing he's really cold. I thought he was dead but I've just found out snakes hibernate. He's laid on his belly across the bottom of his cage. But I've kinda shook the cage a little and there's no response for him. Do I leave him? Or is he gone ? :( I sound silly but I'm took scared to dig him out and touch him if he is dead. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MysticExotics
07-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Do you have a heat source? (UTH or something along that lines?)
Did you recently feed him?
Where are you located?
Is he still not moving, since you posted this?

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:40 AM
No he still isn't moving. My friend gave me him a few weeks ago and said don't get a heat source til the winter as it's hot in England at the moment.

I have turned on my heating at his cage is next to the radiator

I hope he's not dead.

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:41 AM
He's buried right under his aspen and the only way I can see him without poking around is lifting this cage up. It's a clear one and I can see his belly laid on the bottom. Can't see his head [emoji22]

hypnoctopus
07-22-2014, 12:43 AM
They can tolerate the cold pretty well. I would just allow him to heat up slowly. I think you need to touch him to see if he's okay.

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:43 AM
Is it silly that I'm really scared too? Will his eyes still be open? He's buried himself pretty deep.

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:44 AM
He was last fed on Thursday.

hypnoctopus
07-22-2014, 12:47 AM
They don't have eyelids so his eyes will always be open. If he's dead, he probably won't look any different than how he normally looks. Can you get anyone else to check him? How cold did it get overnight?

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:48 AM
It's been pretty warm the past few days but with my windows wide open it got cold in my room. As cold as dawn gets in England :/ shall I put him nearer the radiator so he gets warmer?

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:49 AM
It's been about an hour since I found him.

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:52 AM
I've moved him! He's alive!!!!!! Going out first thing to buy a heat lamp and finding the damn keys for my window! My bedrooms attached to the kitchen of our flat so I think my housemate just opened the windows when she burnt something in the kitchen.

hypnoctopus
07-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Glad to hear he's okay!

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Thank you! I don't think I would have had to balls to try and move him if I didn't find this forum at 6am [emoji23]

smigon
07-22-2014, 03:35 AM
I am really glad he is alive, now you need to get a little "schooling" so this never happens again.

On every topic on this site are "stickies" at the top of each page; they are extremely helpful hints and knowledge from the moderators or breeders who are on or run this site. Read them all.

YOU MUST HAVE A SOURCE OF HEAT FOR YOUR CORN!!! They are cold blooded creatures and need to have a place to be warm. This is not optional. In some books on the topic of heating your tank (which is a must since you don't live in the tropics!), they might mention heat lamps. This is a debated subject here, but I would not waste time or money on a heat lamp, go with a UTH (under tank heater). This will cover 1/3 of the bottom of your tank, and you MUST have a thermostat to regulate it, otherwise the UTH can reach temps that can harm your snake. Along with the UTH and thermostat you need a probe thermometer or infrared thermometer.

Corns use belly heat to help digestion, so a UTH with a thermostat is recommended over the lamp. It also costs less in the long run and is easier to maintain temps. It will help keep your humidity levels up too, since the lights tend to dry the viv out. Lamps can also harm your corn's eyes if the wrong kind of bulb is used. You want to set the thermostat to about 87° so the top of the substrate on the warm side is 85° and the cool side (where you would keep the waterbowl) is around 75°.

Have you done any book reading about corns? If you haven't, take the time to get at least a couple of books on corns. Two of the best were written by members of this forum, and will get you in the know on everything corns.

Kathy Love's book (http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-Comprehensive-Herpetocultural-Library-ebook/dp/B006OGMUVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406015174&sr=8-1&keywords=corn+kathy+love)

Don Soderberg's book (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corn%20don%20soderberg)

Nanci has a great caresheet on corns, it will tell you a whole lot in a little time. Nanci's caresheet (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95298)

Here is a good guide for feeding corns, when to move up in size of prey. Most of us here use it, some think it is a little aggressive for younger corns so there is room to wait until your baby gains even 5g more than the chart says. It is known as the Munson Plan.

Munson Plan (http://www.medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm)

I suggest getting a digital scale if you don't already have one, you need to weigh your corn and the prey. Almost all corn info is taken in grams, this is one I recommend.

digital scale (in grams) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJFJDGS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I keep a journal on all my corns, I weigh each before feeding, look them over for any injuries or anything out of the ordinary, then feed. I record the date, the weight, what they ate (or didn't), when they are blue, when they shed and any other things to note.

I really am glad he is okay, and I hope you don't take this as a verbal lashing but as a learning experience. Everyone here is here because we love our corns and only want the best for them all. Good luck to you, and make sure he gets cozy soon!

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks. Off to the shop now to get him something. I'm gonna have a read about shedding because I think it's been a while! He's been with my friendship group for four years and I think I owe it to everyone to keep him safe :)

smigon
07-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks. Off to the shop now to get him something. I'm gonna have a read about shedding because I think it's been a while! He's been with my friendship group for four years and I think I owe it to everyone to keep him safe :)

BLESS you for taking my post as a learning tool rather than some crazy woman "scolding" you about what happened. I am glad you are worrying about his shed. Just make sure it all comes off, especially the eye caps and tail.

smigon
07-22-2014, 07:16 AM

I download all my corn books to my Kindle, and they are great for quick reference. I am also going to buy a book and have Kathy Love sign it for me, she is the ruler of all that is corns west of the Mississippi! And I know where she lives.

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 07:56 AM
He isn't shedding that's the problem! I've had him a month and my friend said when she had him it had been a whole since he shed and he was due. I tried going to pets at home
Today but the pub I work in is having an audit x

HVani
07-22-2014, 08:06 AM
He will shed when he's ready :) No worries

Good luck with everything

tara.kimberly.1
07-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks :) I check his eyes every time I get him out so hopefully won't be long he is looking rather full.

smigon
07-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Once he gets dull it is usually about a week or so before they shed. Some of mine take way longer than that, some I never even notice the dullness, it is that quick.