PDA

View Full Version : Shedding question.

Shedding question.

tara.kimberly.1
07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm quite new to snake owning. And the past owner of this one didn't seam to know much so I don't think me and my friend have been very good parents.

My corn is about 4 years old and I've had him over a month now. He hasn't shed. She said he was due to shed. He's really inactive at the moment. I've just bought him a heat mat and thermostat to regulate it. But he's still spending all his time in his hide. I don't want to feed him because I found regurge from when I fed him a week ago. I know I sound inexperienced but I don't want to do anything wrong and would rather get some help and advice.

Should I leave him and not feed him to see if he sheds or feed him ? My research isn't quick enough and although I'm reading a lot about corn snakes if don't want to make him poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanci
07-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Well, you don't want to feed him anyway if he regurged the last feeding. Wait two weeks, then feed him a meal half the size of what he regurged. Obtain Nutribac probiotics and put that on all his meals. Slit his mice crosswise through the skin of the back- about 4-5 slits.

tara.kimberly.1
07-25-2014, 07:46 PM
He did it about a week ago. So I should leave him another week or so? He's always in his hide at the moment. More than usual now I've his heat mat in. I've read this is normal?

smigon
07-26-2014, 09:41 AM
What is the thermostat set at for his warm hide?

Here is a really great info sheet Nanci has written for new corn owners, it will help you with some of the questions you have. Also there are books on corns, I would get as much reading as you can about them since you seem to be having some issues with your new baby.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95298

Nanci
07-26-2014, 09:44 AM
He may be blue right now, which would explain why he is hidden away, and likely why he regurged. YES, leave him another week without feeding.

If you jump back to normal schedule with normal prey, he most likely will regurge again.

tara.kimberly.1
07-26-2014, 11:55 AM
I have left him and put a empty toilet roll in to help him shed. Fingers crossed when I go upstairs. His thermostat is at 30 degrees centigrade x

tara.kimberly.1
07-26-2014, 03:51 PM
No shed. But now very active. As if trying to escape haha

smigon
07-27-2014, 05:55 AM
30 is perfect for the warm side, and he will be more active because of the warmth, and that temp will help his digestion in the future.

Definitely take the advice about the Nutribac and everything Nanci says about the regurge protocol, it will definitely help your him get back on the feeding track.

Also, the more hides the better. If he likes the toilet paper rolls, flatten one end and angle it down into the substrate like a cave. My babies love these, and I usually give them 2 or 3 to choose from in addition to the regular hides. Toothpaste boxes are another fave for my yearlings.

tara.kimberly.1
07-27-2014, 08:46 AM
I'll change it in a few days. Might encourage him to be more active if I put different hides in. Still no shed. He was very active yesterday and last night but gone back into hiding today. Gonna try feed him in a few days I don't think he was blue.

smigon
07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Are you following the regurge protocol with the Nutribac?

tara.kimberly.1
07-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Yes I Am but haven't tried feeding yet

tara.kimberly.1
07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Update. Picked him up today to weigh before feeding and now he's definitely blue !

smigon
07-30-2014, 02:56 AM
Update. Picked him up today to weigh before feeding and now he's definitely blue !

Oh, good! Don't feed him anything at all until after he sheds, then keep following the regurge protocol.

tara.kimberly.1
08-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Another update. Took a while but he shed and I've fed him too :) he's a happy boy and no regurge! But I'm keeping a close eye on him.