PDA

View Full Version : Moving backwards while eating?

Moving backwards while eating?

albertagirl
07-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi, this is NOT a question about eating the mouse backwards! That was all I could find when searching for information about this.

I fed a 2g pinkie to my 10g baby, which went just fine at her last couple of feeds, but this time she seemed to have some problems with it. I woke her up to eat, and she struck it like she was mad at it (cute), held it for a while, then started to try to swallow it. She got the head most of the way in, and then started slithering around backwards and opening her mouth really wide. It looked to me like she was trying to spit it out. She would alternate between working the mouse in, and then opening really wide and looking like she wanted to spit it out, and was going around in circles backwards the whole time. She finally got it in the whole way, and everything seems fine now.

Do you think she was trying to spit it out? It did look a little bigger than the other 2g pinkies I've given her, but from reading the munson plan which recommends giving 2 gram pinkies to 4 gram snakes ( :eek: how???) I assume that the pinkie being too big was not the issue.

A side note, there was one little piece of shredded aspen that kinda got stuck to the pinkie, and after she had swallowed the pinkie down, the piece of aspen was still sticking out of her mouth and she seemed unable to extract it. I let her try for a while, and then helped her pull it out, which she seemed okay with. I thought maybe she could have been trying to move backwards to rub the aspen out of her mouth without letting go of the mouse except moving backwards was how she got the mouse out of the clean feeding bowl and into the aspen in the first place, so I'm not sure about that.

Is it normal for snakes to go backwards the whole time while eating? She didn't do that the last couple of times I fed her. Also, is it a bad idea to wake them up to eat? My girls seem to wake up around 7 or 8 pm, and this was at 6:30, so just barely outside of their normally active time.

Thanks for any comments or advice!

DuxorW
07-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Do you think she was just trying to drag it away to a "safe" place? Some corns are wary about eating out in the open.

hypnoctopus
07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
If she's a good eater, you can feed her any time that works for you.

I've sometimes seen my corns move backwards while eating, but I didn't think anything of it because sometimes they hang upside down out of their tubs and eat that way. I don't know why she would do that, but I wouldn't worry. She may have been trying to dislodge the aspen and even if she had swallowed one piece, it shouldn't cause any issue.

dwyn127
07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
I have a Sunkissed Cinder that eats like that all the time. I just think she's a dork...

albertagirl
07-28-2014, 06:10 PM
I have a Sunkissed Cinder that eats like that all the time. I just think she's a dork...

Thanks for the laugh. LOL.

Do you think she was just trying to drag it away to a "safe" place? Some corns are wary about eating out in the open.

At first I thought maybe she was trying to move it to a more desirable location, but she was just going in really small circles. Like she was trying to unwind herself in reverse from her sleeping position. I figured it was probably nothing to be worried about, but just seemed weird. I was worried the pinkie was too big, but she got it down fine and has kept it down.

I've sometimes seen my corns move backwards while eating, but I didn't think anything of it because sometimes they hang upside down out of their tubs and eat that way

I did see one post you had that said this, and had a laugh about that too.

Thanks for the reassurance, all. This was only their 3rd feed with me, so I'm still REALLY new at this. Every time I feed them I think to myself "there's no way she's going to be able to swallow that!!" LOL. I'm sure everyone feels the same when they first start out with snakes.

:-offtopic

How do I get multiple quotes in my reply, complete with the original poster's information?

albertagirl
07-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Come to think of it, it was my Cinder doing it too. Maybe it's a Cinder thing. :rofl: