PDA

View Full Version : RI, or no...?

RI, or no...?

LauRuffian
08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
I've had 4yro lavender corn snake Kamalah about 3 weeks now. I noticed the day after receiving her that she sometimes has noisy breathing. It isn't significant, just occasional clicking sounds, and as my healthy snakes sometimes make that sound (perhaps just before shedding) I ascribed (hoped) at the time that's all it was.

But, I just took her out tonight and I'm concerned. There's more clicking and popping, but more than that, she was opening her mouth a few times as well (not wide, just a crack or so) every now and then. NOT normal in any snake, I know. I also saw her sort of puffing up her throat a bit every now and then, seemingly connected to the clicking sounds--perhaps part of a respiratory thing? I pried her mouth open and saw no evidence of discharge, bubbling, redness, or other illness signs. She has good appetite, eats readily, has clear eyes and nostrils, and is defecating normally.

Incidentally, she's in a 20gal tank with aspen bedding, but I do believe she arrived with a touch of this and perhaps the stress of the move made it worse. I have a heat lamp but was considering an UTH--probably will get that, regardless.

Could she have come with a mild cold, perhaps? Is this a situation where I should take her to my herp vet now, or observe and/or treat at home? Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

hypnoctopus
08-06-2014, 02:04 AM
It sounds like pre shed behavior to me. Has she shed with you yet? Not having mucus in her mouth is a good sign. In any case, and I'm sure you know this, I would keep her away from your other snakes just in case she is sick.

LauRuffian
08-06-2014, 02:52 AM
That's what I was wondering, but I've not known a snake to be THIS dramatic. Maybe that's how she is. I know a horse who sounds like he's dyyyyyyiiiing every time he goes down to roll and then moans and groans as he gets up. Struggling? In pain? Sick? Nope, just dramatic.

She hasn't shed yet with me (her mate also bought at the same time just did 2 days ago), so hopefully that's it. The mouth opening and throat puffing are new to me and more worrisome--here's hoping a shed skin is all the treatment she needs.