PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old corn digesting

3 month old corn digesting

SoosMD
08-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Hello!

I'm feeding my ~3 month old (about 10 grams) corn snake a pinky about every 5 days. It used to take a full 48 hours for the lump to disappear, but in the last couple feedings within a day it's totally gone.

Three feedings ago, he regurgitated. I fed him while he was in blue, and it sat inside him for three says and he finally threw it up almost whole. I won't feed while blue again! He had eaten totally fine twice prior to that.

After he regurgitated, I waited 10 days to try again, and he digested it very fast. I then waited a week, and the same, then 5 days. It had me kind of worried that he was regurgitating again, but I can't find anything in his cage (I searched through the substrate and everything) and there's none of the smell that came with his last one.

Is digesting a pinky in about 30 hours reasonable for a snake his size? He seems extremely healthy and active, and about 2 days after I feed him he's out at night looking for food again.

I'd appreciate any help!

hypnoctopus
08-07-2014, 12:56 AM
If his food is small for him, then he will digest it pretty quickly. However, since he did have a regurge, I would hold off on giving him bigger food just yet. With such small corn snakes, their poop is also very small and sometimes it's hard to find.

albertagirl
08-07-2014, 01:14 AM
I have a 9g and a 12g baby, and they are both out cruising their vivs the next day after eating as well. They hide as soon as I come into view, so I haven't been able to tell if there's still a bump or not, but they're certainly being active. I'm sorry, I'm not sure if that helps, since I don't really know if it's normal either, but as far as I can tell, they seem to be healthy and growing so I'm guessing that it is?

MysticExotics
08-07-2014, 01:25 AM
The key part here is that the snake regurged.
What normally might apply to other Corns, does not apply here, because you should be following the regurge protocol to prevent another regurge.
Once the snake has fully recovered, and is on normal food size, then you can move up as indicated.

Kathy Love's webtsite has the regurge protocol on it. NutriBAC is recommended, and can be ordered online. Kathy Love sells it, I believe, as does the Bean Farm.