PDA

View Full Version : Home from the vet with antibiotics in tow

Home from the vet with antibiotics in tow

LauRuffian
08-09-2014, 05:15 PM
I brought 4yro lavender Kamalah to the vet this morning for a suspected RI. I've had her less than a month--bought her July 23--and I think the stress of moving triggered in her the first respiratory infection I've ever had in nearly 20 years of snake-keeping.

Thankfully, she hasn't been bubbling, sneezing, or having any sort of nasal discharge, but definitely has a respiratory issue. The vet checked her glottis and noted it was clear, which is very good. Kamalah performed well for the vet (as opposed to my other animals, which seem to get magically well as soon as the doc shows up)--she puffed her throat to breathe, which the doc called something like gunar/gunnial/something with a g and an n breathing (??) indicating difficulty; she also opened her mouth both a crack and wide a few times to catch a breath. I noted that she'd be active, moving about her container, then pause, puff her throat, open her mouth a bit, take a deep breath, then continue her exploration. Aww. Poor girl was short of breath!

The doc said we had definitely caught this early, thankfully, so she's not in serious danger. He debated whether to go conservative in care and only increase her heat, but seeing as we drove a good 35min to get there, he went ahead and decided injectable antibiotics would be the way to go. She had her first shot today and we'll be giving her the rest of the doses every 72 hours. The doc will be calling to follow up on her next week.

She does seem to love her UTH so hopefully that's helping her as well.

Get better soon girl! Good news is doc okayed her to get back on her feeding schedule, so she'll get a nice dinner tonight.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10537308_10204752176783737_6832194153679860958_n.j pg
Son took this pic of Kamalah and me in the examining room while waiting on the doc

Nanci
08-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Glad she's okay! When thinking about feeding her, make sure she has time to digest before her next antibiotic injection, because you'll have to handle her. Maybe go with smaller than normal meals until she is done with shots.