PDA

View Full Version : Distended belly concerns?

Distended belly concerns?

Neekko
08-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Okaaaaaaaaay, SO:

I took Pancake out of her viv today after not really seeing her for a week and a half because she was in blue and had just shed yesterday. While I was preparing her feeding tub, my not-as-snake-savvy boyfriend, who was holding her, commented that she was getting fat. I thought nothing of it because we were definitely not overfeeding her and I took it as his way of saying that she's a lot bigger now.

However, when we put her in the feeding tub I did notice that her belly area was very large, like she had just eaten. Immediately I began to worry and took her out so I could examine her closely. I then spent the next 15 minutes or so simultaneously Googling for symptoms while getting her to sit still for a couple photos. By the time I managed to take some pictures, the "bloating" had mostly disappeared. There was still some puffiness to her midsection, but it was considerably less noticeable.

Am I right to assume that it was just gas and her squirming all over my arm and shoulder while I did research/fiddled with my camera had helped it pass? Should I still be concerned and take her to the vet at the first chance I get?

She'll be 2 years old this September. Moisture and temperatures were normal (currently 60%, 76/82F); heat pads are monitored with thermostats and double-checked with a temperature gun; neither heat pad seemed to malfunction. She pooped after shedding (it was lumped atop the shed skin when I found it) and nothing about it looked out of the ordinary. After shedding, she did not appear to leave her high-temp hide, but would poke her head out whenever there was any activity near her viv. We did have to lift the hide to get her out for feeding. Her grip was strong when I held her and she seemed interested in the mouse just before I noticed her large belly, which felt soft. I did eventually end up feeding her when her belly looked to be mostly gone and she accepted the mouse with no complaints. Right now she's back in the high-temp hide and I'll continue to monitor her carefully.

Below are some photos of her, though sadly these were taken much later, when her belly appeared much smaller than it first did. I didn't learn until after she'd eaten to give her a warm bath, but I shall definitely do that the next time I notice the symptom again. I do hope that it is just gas and not something worse, as that would make my birthday week just awful. :P

smigon
08-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Do you weigh her? I always weigh my kiddos before a meal so I can compare it to past weights and check for abnormal gains or losses. This would help you know if she is gaining weight or may have some belly problems, although that seems unlikely.

Nanci
08-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Has she pooped? She might have been digesting slowly, due to blue.

If you take a snake out to feed, and notice any sort of belly distention, do not feed!

I would watch for a few days and if it doesn't go away, or gets worse, go to the vet.

Neekko
08-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Do you weigh her? I always weigh my kiddos before a meal so I can compare it to past weights and check for abnormal gains or losses. This would help you know if she is gaining weight or may have some belly problems, although that seems unlikely.

I don't weigh her nearly as often (once a month), but I guess I probably should!

Neekko
08-18-2014, 06:19 AM
Has she pooped? She might have been digesting slowly, due to blue.

If you take a snake out to feed, and notice any sort of belly distention, do not feed!

I would watch for a few days and if it doesn't go away, or gets worse, go to the vet.

She did poop immediately or shortly after shedding (she ruined a skin that I'd intended to keep!). The bulge was barely there by the time I fed her (about 20 minutes after the photos were taken--that mouse was removed from the tub until she looked okay). I hope feeding didn't do something bad!

Neekko
08-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Update!

This morning I found two large, normal-looking poops sitting next to each other in her viv and the belly bulge appears to have completely disappeared! I guess she really did have some undigested stuff in her that caused the bloat. I'll be careful next time that happens again and make sure she passes it before feeding.

Thank you for the responses!