PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good option to get.

What would be a good option to get.

Rox6or
08-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Hay guys,
So recently I finally finished my display viv and now I'm researching and thinking of what to get. Iv'e been keeping snakes for close to 6 years now, snakes which include 10 corn snakes, 2 ball-pythons and 2 taiwan beauty snakes. All are doing great, I started breeding my corns this year and all is going good I would say. I always do proper research before attaining any new snake or any pet for that matter. I also love this forum as I get a lot of info and help here with things that I haven't come across yet. Now my question is, I'm looking for a nice display snake for my display viv which is 5' long x 4' wide x 2.5' high (more or less as I work in cm). I don't mind aggression (I would rather say a bit of bityness:D), but I should definitely be one that I would see out of hides often. I was looking at Rainbow boas(both Colombian and Brazilian) however they don't really captivate me that much. I also looked at the amazon tree boa(the garden phase especially), which I really like, but they are quite nippy, but like I said I don't mind that much. Third I looked at green tree pythons, I really like them as well, but they are hard to come by in South Africa and carry a hefty price here. Which I would pay I they turn out to be the best option. I also looked at carpet pythons, but I believe my viv specs are too small for them? So guess they're out. The last one I took a look at was Woma Pythons, but like I read they don't really fit the bill for display purposes. I would just like to stress that I did some research on all of these that I mentioned, but not yet extensive as I will most likely only get the new addition in about a month or two. So any and all contributions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

hypnoctopus
08-24-2014, 12:45 AM
I don't know if they would make a good display snake, but I think yellow tail cribos are really cool looking snakes. I'm not sure how available they are where you are. Are the African species of snakes readily available there?

Rox6or
08-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Will look at them thanks Olivia. Some are readily available, however any that are indigenous to South Africa are only allowed to be kept with confirmation from herpetology SA and with proper licensing.

Rox6or
08-24-2014, 02:18 AM
For instance the African brown house snake is only allowed to be kept here if you acquired a license for it.

hypnoctopus
08-24-2014, 02:45 AM
That's interesting. I guess that's actually true for a lot of places, where you either can't keep native species or you have to have permits for them.

Nanci
08-24-2014, 08:39 AM
I love looking at a pretty GTP, but the display cages I see them in are more vertically oriented. And- do they do much except sit on their branch? I have met some that are sweet and handleable- they aren't all biters.

I guess a Florida King might be too "basic" for you, but mine, which is a white-sided, is a very active, attentive, diurnal snake. She _always_ knows what is going on in the house, and actively follows my activities.

And, can you keep garter snakes in groups? That might be an interesting idea, if you could have several.

Rox6or
08-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Definitely true Olivia. thanks.
Thanks Nanci, I did have a look at King snakes and being "basic" doesn't bother that much. Thing is in South Africa King snakes are very common, where I want something a bit more exotic, that's the reason for looking at gtp and etb. But garter snakes I think does deserve some more of my attention, I will have a look at them in some more detail thanks a lot.

Nythain
08-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Jungle Carpet Python. Would go well in something that size. They're semi-arboreal so they tend to be out a bit more than some species. And they're coloration is soooooo amazing that they would make a nice display snake.

Or 2-3 garters. I know that sounds like a weird suggestion for a display snake, but they are one of the few species it's acceptable to co-hab. And they come in sooooooo many different colors and varieties that there are many I would consider display worthy (look up neon blue red sided). Also, they are diurnal which means they would be active during daytime hours, which is most likely the time period a display item would be observed. So combine vibrant colors with active daytime social behavior and suddenly a small group of garters sounds perfectly viable!

Rox6or
08-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Awesome that does sound cool. Think I'll look into the garters thanks guys for all the help