PDA

View Full Version : When to make the hard choice?

When to make the hard choice?

SarahP
08-27-2014, 11:47 PM
So.

Long story short: I have a badly kinked hatchling.

Longer story:

This is from a lav stripe x charcoal het lav+ pairing. There are 9 other healthy babies so far, so not a disaster. But.

The last hatchling appeared to be stuck, i.e. in the same position, 3/4 out of the egg, for two days. It moved/reacted, but didn't appear to be able to get out. Looking at the egg, I noticed that the slit it made seemed to be too small, so I carefully snipped it open wider and let the snake do as it would.

Very quickly after widening the hole, it crawled out, and I now know why it was stuck. At about 3/4 of the way down it's body, it is badly fused. :( There's a pea sized knot that appears to be a section of the body that was folded back on itself that just never straightened. It does have a body past the knot that goes all the way down to the tail tip.

Of course, this is the hatchling with an oddball color, so I was hoping to be able to post pictures and get guesses.

My question is: given that this is not a kink the snake is going to grow out of, what's the best way forward? I don't believe it will be able to shed successfully. It may eat, as it seems alert and responsive (and is very calm) but I doubt it will be able to poop.

Is it better to see if it surprises me and let it live for as long as it can? Or to euthanize now? It does not appear to be in pain (for all that I can tell -- not biting itself, not flailing or flopping or holding very still -- it is exploring as best it can). As mentioned, it seems very alert and curious.

I am not looking forward to euthanizing it, even if I should. I don't, however, want to make it suffer, you know?

Opinions greatly appreciated.

I can post a picture if people want to see.

Spencer
08-28-2014, 12:24 AM
I don't know... if you were in the same situation.... How would you feel. Maybe a vet visit soon. Could be fixable. But Maybe not. I would think it might be able to digest... you could give it a go.

hypnoctopus
08-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Luckily I didn't have any issues like that with my clutch this year, but I had decided beforehand that if I did, that I would at least see if they could eat and shed and then I would just keep them until the end of their life. However, I would not look down on someone for euthanizing a kinked animal.

smigon
08-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Luckily I didn't have any issues like that with my clutch this year, but I had decided beforehand that if I did, that I would at least see if they could eat and shed and then I would just keep them until the end of their life. However, I would not look down on someone for euthanizing a kinked animal.

^^^^^^^^This. Wait and see, if he isn't in any obvious pain I would let him prove himself to be a great pet for someone. If you ever see him struggling or he is in pain, you get a higher place in snake heaven for caring so much to do the right thing by him, even if it feels so wrong.