• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Deli cup

jzpsmom

Hello I am Tessa and just got my first corn snake Clementine a week ago. Been reading the boards here abut feeding. I hear a lot of talk about a Deli cup and was wondering what that is

Thanks!

When you got your snake, did they put it into a low, wide, clear plastic container to take home? That's a deli cup; you'll see lots of pictures on here with people's new babies in them. A Critter Carrier works too if the lid snaps shut and they're not strong enough to open it themselves.

They put her in a plastic container with Aspen inside of it. She now is in her home. I bought a seperate container just for feeding. what should put inside of it when it is time to feed?

I think a lot of people on here just feed them in the empty deli cup, but don't quote me on that. However, if she's skittish maybe you should put a paper towel down in there so she can't see out, and lay one over the top so it's a little darker. If it's her first feeding maybe the best idea is to drop the pinky somewhere near her in her enclosure with tongs? I had misgivings, but one of the regulars (I'll see if I can't find who) said that if you dry the pinky off before you present it it not only makes it a little warmer, but the aspen is less likely to stick. A little isn't going to hurt them and they'll still be in the safest, most familiar environment they've known since they came home with you.

I have a garter snake that I give pinkies to on in his cage on a Pringles can lid.. it makes a nice clean area for him - he's very skittish. My adult corns I feed in a black filing box with a clear lid, and some newspaper in the bottom... I don't want to risk them ingesting bedding.. You might consider the Pringles lid or a low sided small container to put the pinkie in if you feed in the cage, if they don't drag it out into the bedding, you can minimize the risk of them ingesting anything besides the food.

A deli cup is literally the type of container you would get from a deli. Most grocery stores have them in their deli section. Most people use an 8 oz size for hatchling corn snakes. I prefer to feed my babies in deli cups so they can find the pinkie right away and there's no risk of ingesting any aspen.

Back