PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding Shedding

Questions Regarding Shedding

Hearts-a-Glow
09-05-2014, 07:51 PM
My question is geared toward Alaula, who ate beautifully last Sunday (first feeding) and who, though I had intended to feed her yesterday because she did so well, has become very reclusive in her moist hide for the past 3. I've checked on her once every day since and my first thought is that she is preparing to shed. But as of last night she hasn't gone blue nor dulled, and that opened up a couple of questions in my mind. On average:

1. How often have your babies shed?
2. How soon after eating have they begun to shed for you?
3. How long do they remain dormant prior to a shed?
4. Besides the lethargy, dulling colors and/or blue eyes, are there other indicators of an imminent shed?
5. What other questions should I be asking?

Nanci
09-05-2014, 08:09 PM
1. About once a month.
2. Not related?? But if they are fed, then go blue, they probably won't poop until after they shed.
3. Depending on how early you notice, 7-10 days or so.
4. A larger-than-expected weight gain, because they haven't pooped. Sometimes a refusal to eat, in an otherwise good feeder.
5. Should I feed my snake when it is blue? No- it is likely to regurge. Do I need to do anything special to prepare for the shed? It depends. If you have low humidity, you might want to provide a moist hide, or mist the viv lightly and place a piece of plastic wrap loosely on the screen top to hold humidity in. What should I do after the shed? Check the shed skin for eye caps and a complete tail. What if it is a bad shed? Look at the sticky in the Health section.

Hearts-a-Glow
09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
You rock. :D

HannaKonda
09-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Thank you!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hearts-a-Glow
09-08-2014, 12:26 PM
We've reached Day 9 and still no shed. But, I haven't looked in on her in 2 days in her hide (giving her her privacy) so it could be that she's gone blue in the interim so I'll at least have some sign that that's what's occurring. Fingers crossed it comes off in one piece: she's been in the damp (but not wet) hide for so long it should slough off no problem. My biggest concern now is respiratory issues from being in the damp for so long: has anyone ever had that happen?